URGENT: Using a flag to prop open doors

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Climb4christ1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Climb4christ1

Climb4christ1 New Member

Hello, I am in the US Air Force and currently attending training At a base away from my duty station. In our school house they have 2 US flags and 2 Air Force flags each holding open an interior hallway door. they are displayed on a staff and in a chrome flag holder, then pushed up against the door to hold it open. I brought it up to my chain of command, because it is seriously disrespectful, but they say to find a code that says they can't do this.. Can anyone help me out?

This is very urgent, I leave in a week and want to correct it before I leave.

SSgt Alex Washburn
  2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello Alex -- welcome to the forum!

I don't think that AF regs or the flag code say anything specific about using flags as door stops. However, the sense of both is that the flag is supposed to be treated respectfully as a national symbol, rather than something utilitarian. For example, the code says that the flag should not be used as a receptacle for carrying something, or as an article of bedding or drapery, and that it should not touch anything beneath it. (The doors are not technically "beneath" the flag in your case, but the idea is still there.) It also says "The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled or damaged in any way", which would certainly be a possibility if it is used as you describe.

Unfortunately, the only real approach that I can see is to mention some of the above points, and appeal to their common sense. It can't be that hard to find something else to use as a doorstop! In any case, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Have you thought about simply buying the number of actual (real) doorstops needed and giving them to the "powers that be" to be used in place of the Flags/poles/bases?

OR..... Buy the necessary doorstops and putting them in place, and place the Flags & Bases where they properly "belong".

Just Sayin'.......... :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.