US Flag and Compnay Flags on the Same Flag Pole

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by rooknjay, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rooknjay

rooknjay New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and just tried to post a thread but received a message that I could not priview my post & so logged in again.

Maybe my post was too long, so I'll try to make it shorter.

I believe that the company flag should not fly on the same flag pole as the US flag because it is considered to be advertizing. Is that correct? What about safety achievment flags such as "8 million man hours without a lost time accident," or "VPP Star Site" (refers to US DOE's Voluntary Protection Program)?

Would US DOE flag be considered advertizing or would it be considered in the same status as the state flag? I have had questions about professional and non-professional sports team pennants or flags. Can they be on the same flag pole as the US flag?

I would appreciate several responses if there are some members out there with experience in these situations.

Thank you all in advance.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Rooknjay, welcome to the forum!

I can't see any problem with flying any of those flags under the US flag. The flag code just says that "The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever." This was a reaction to the use of flag images on advertising labels for things like toilet paper and beer. Flying a corporate or organizational flag under the US flag is very common, and it isn't usually thought of as advertising -- it's a statement that the organization (company, school, club, team, etc.) is proud to be a corporate citizen. A flag that said "BIG CAR SALE TODAY" or something like that might be considered tacky, but that's something else altogether.

DOE is a federal department, and it's certainly appropriate to fly its flag under the US flag. Many Government departments have their own individual regulations for flying the US flag and other flags. I don't know if this is the case with DOE.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. rooknjay

rooknjay New Member

Thanks Peter for the quick answer. I lead a group of volunteers who proudly fly the flag at our building every day, and many of my co-workers ask me if they have a flag question. I am a US Army veteran, but do not pretend to have all the answers. I like this forum, because we get to see many different opionions and perspectives.

4. LexiVexi

LexiVexi New Member

You can display your corporate or business flag on the same flagpole as an American flag as long as Old Glory is on top. It needs to fly in the position of honor.

If you fly it on a flagpole adjacent to the American flag, it needs to be to the right of that American flag flagpole. The US flag should always be on the left in the position of which people will be viewing it.

Hope that helps with your question!

There's more flag etiquette available at American Flags, State Flags, Custom Flags & Flagpoles - Carrot-Top for displaying the U.S. flag properly with other flag and in specific situations.

5. usflagstore

usflagstore New Member

The U.S. flag should be in the position of highest honor, or the far left or highest point in a group of flags.

I found this Washington State flag website that may help answer your question:

Display with the U.S. and Other Flags