US Flag Placement w/two Poles - Confirmation

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by jbaileyx2, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jbaileyx2

jbaileyx2 New Member

We are having a grand opening ceremony for our public safety building on 5/05/12. We have been in the building since December 2011 and have not raised the US flag and TX state flag until the grand opening.

We are good with the order of raising and lowering as well as the final placement of the flags. The hiccup is which pole to place the flags as the poles sit in front of each other (perpendicular to the building and street). From what I have researched, the US flag would fly in the front, however, the builder made the rear pole higher than the front. I am wondering if they were placed in the incorrect order.

Regardless, I just need to confirm the US flag would fly on the front pole and the state flag would fly on the rear pole just below the US flag. If this is the case then we are good to go. Let me know if this is not clear and I can get a picture to show this layout more clearly.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, jbaileyx2!

The flag code does not specifically address the positioning of permanently-installed flag poles. It is pretty clear, however, that no other flag should be flown higher than the US flag. My take would be to put the US flag on the higher pole, even though it's behind the lower one. This would still give visual precedence to the US flag, because it's higher. The alernative, with the US flag on the lower pole and the Texas flag at "half staff" on the other one would look awkward, IMO.

If you do decide to go with the US flag on the front pole, the Texas flag could be on the rear pole at the same height as the US flag. There's nothing that says it has to be lower, just that it isn't supposed to be higher. It's quite common (and correct) to fly other flags beside the US flag at the same height. Again, I think that it would be preferable to put the US flag on the rear pole, with both flags at full staff.

Peter Ansoff