US/Other National/Other Organizational Flags in Classroom

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by lupara, Aug 23, 2010.

1. lupara

lupara New Member

I have several flags that I want to display in my ESL classroom. I bought the US flag an obviously larger size (4' x 6') than all the others (3' x 5') on purpose, because I know it must be more prominently displayed than all others. That fits in with my class, too: we have students of international heritage, but they are all first and foremost American citizens. The other flags represent North Carolina, a few countries, the UN, ecology, and world peace.

I originally planned to hang the flags from the top of the walls, where they meet the ceiling, with the US flag in the middle. My problem is this: due to the configuration of the walls and their various attached and immobile bookcases, cubbies, cabinets, smartboards, AC unit, windows and doors, there are limited spaces for me to put the flags; I'll only be able to hang 5 or 6. The US flag fits perfectly in the largest window in the room, and even when the blinds are only slightly open, it is without a doubt the most prominent item in the whole classroom. However, the top of the window opening is about 18" below the ceiling line, where I would like to hang the other flags.

So, does the fact that the window, the larger size of the U.S. flag, and its absolute prominence in the classroom landscape negate the difference in height, or MUST the US flag be taller than all others, no matter the others' size and relative lack of prominence?

THANKS!
    Mrs. W in NC

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Ms. W -- welcome to the forum!

MUST the US flag be taller than all others, no matter the others' size and relative lack of prominence?

Actually, the reverse is true. The Flag Code says:

"When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximiately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."

The sense of the code is that all national flags, including the US flag, should be given equal prominence with respect to size and height. When displayed with other national flags, the US flag is given prominence by being placed to its own right (the viewer's left) of the other flags.

Having said all that, however: In a case like yours, when the flags are distributed around the room and are not visually part of the same display, it probably doesn't matter very much one way or the other. It sounds as if you're doing the best you can given the constraints of the room's layout. I'd say the way you describe it will be just fine.

Peter Ansoff