USA flag and Military flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Navycook2, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

house.jpg Good afternoon everyone! My name is Adam I just bought a house in July and yes I have not flown my flags yet :( not proud or happy abou that. However I have found you guys to give me some help! I have my USA Ensign and my U.S. Navy flag. The only place I can place them really is on my garage door. Here is a picture. I believe my Ensign would be on the garage door column closest to my door but I want to make sure I am correct. I would also like some input on placement as i do have lights centered on them as well. Thank you everyone.
    Very Respectfully,
    Adam Skott
    USN

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, NavyCook2 (Adam)! :cool:

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum! ;)

Wherever you place your two (2) Flags (or three or four, etc.) the U.S. Flag should be placed farthest to the observers' left (that is, farthest to the U.S. Flag's OWN right) as seen from the sidewalk or street (as shown in your picture). Your military Flag, U.S. Navy I presume, should go to the observers' right (as seen from the street) of the U.S. Flag.

To clarify, using YOUR photograph, YOU are furthest to your OWN right, but you are furthest on the left as OBSERVED from the street.

So, if you are going to place your Flags on either side of the garage door, the U.S. Flag should go on the left side (as seen from the street) and the military Flag should go on the right-hand side. The same display arrangement should be used if you mount your two (2) Flags on the porch posts in front of your front door. The brackets for holding the flagpoles should be of equal height and the flagpoles should be of equal length, if you can manage it, for aesthetic (visual) reasons. If not possible, then the U.S. Flag should be a little higher and/or on the longer pole.

It should be the same arrangement that I use for flying my Star-Spangled Banner (Observers' Left-side) and State of Oregon (Observers' Right-side) Flags from the front of my garage. Both brackets are at equal heights and both Flags are mounted on 7' "spinning" flagpoles.

SSBandOregonFlags.JPG

SEE ?

I hope that helps!

Here is a link to a copy of the "Flag Code" on the U.S. History dot Org website : http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Thank you for bringing your flag-related question to our forum! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

BTW : On behalf of ALL our members, PLEASE post some pictures when you have mounted your Flags!

THANX !!! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

Robin thank you very much for that and the Visual! what do you think about the placement? The flag holder below the light which in turn would hang in front of the light. Maybe to the outside? The owner before me had one holder which i took out which is hard to see but it was just below the address beige brick to the right. Just not sure what might look astheticly better. Thanks again for the placement of my flags and will definitely post pictures when finished!

4. Robin Hickman

Hi, Adam!

It's basically your call since it's your house and your Flags. If your U.S. Flag is going to be flown 24/7, then it "should" have a light shining on it during the dark, night-time hours (as per the U.S. "Flag Code"). However, I don't think there is the same "rule" for civilian flown military Flags.

There are, in my mind, five (5) possible locations where flagpole brackets can be placed/mounted on the building. I mentioned four of them in my first post: to the left and right of the garage door, and on the left and right porch posts in front of your front door, all of which would be pointed towards the street. The possible fifth location would be at the right-hand corner of the garage pointing parallel to the street and the front of your house. In your picture, that would be pointing roughly towards the backside of you and your family.

I happen to have a total of four brackets mounted to this building. The two (2) that you see in my picture, plus two more on either side of our front windows. I use the garage brackets almost every day, but since I don't have any lights out there, my Flags are daytime-only Flags. I put them out during the day and store them in the garage over night. The other two brackets are used mostly on "special" Flag-flying occasions. When those happen, the U.S. Flag (or Star-Spangled Banner) go all the way to the far left-hand corner of the building, and the other two or three Flags flown from poles in the brackets are placed in descending order of importance, left-to-right (in the observers' view). Here in the U.S.A., the U.S. Flag is ALWAYS the most important so, with all other things being equal, it is always farthest to its own right (observers' left). You can check on most of your Flag protocol and etiquette questions by referring to the "Flag Code" link I pasted in my first reply.

Another POSSIBILITY to consider, would be to put a permanent upright flagpole out in front of your house. If it were 20-25 feet tall, you could fly both of your Flags on it for all to see! Just a thought.....

Hope that helps... at least a little bit!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, Adam!

I forgot to answer your question about the light. Sorry!

If it was my house and I was flying only one flag (U.S. Flag), I think I'd mount that bracket above the "carriage lamp" to the right of the garage door so that the U.S. Flag would hang down somewhat in front of the light. The higher-up mounting would make it more visible from the street and prevent it from "mugging" anyone who happened to walk too close underneath it. If you were to fly BOTH flags (U.S. & Military), I would place each of the brackets the same distance above the "carriage lamps" on either side of the garage door (U.S. Flag on the left and Military to the right).

Also, to save electricity and not have to remember to turn the lamps on at night and off during the day, I would put those lights on a timer or use photo-electric devices (not sure of the terminology) in each lamp so that they would automatically come on only when it gets dark.

Sorry about the delay in answering!

Robin Hickman

6. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

Well I failed to put up my flags till today! Ill post a picture here soon. I need to get a smaller U.S. Navy flag as it is bigger than my Ensign! Its hard to find a good double sided embroidered Flag. Thank you guys for all your advice!

7. Robin Hickman

Hi, Adam!

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Flags!

Which Flag are you looking to replace: The U.S. Flag or the Navy Flag?

As for "good double-sided embroidered Flags" being hard to find, there are all kinds of good sewn & embroidered "made-in-the-USA" American Flags of different sizes. Finding "good double-sided embroidered" military (Navy) Flags is a different story.

The only place I can recall (there are probably others) that sell double-sided embroidered Military Flags is the Ruffin Flag Company located in Washington, Georgia. I believe that most, if not all, of their flags are imported from China. Ruffin DOES carry a selection of double-sided embroidered Flags (including U.S. Navy), but I think those flags are imported from China. Ruffin has a 3'x5' one for $19.99.

http://www.ruffinflagcompany.net/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=600027

Also, I ran across a couple of double-sided embroidered POW*MIA Flags a few years ago that were in clear plastic bags that had cardboard tags with the name "Mitchell-Proffitt". The company tag claimed that they were approved to do business in Navy Exchanges and Army PX's. It was a while ago, so I might be "mis-remembering". I just Googled "Mitchell-Proffitt". They're located in Jacksonville, Florida. I don't think that M-P sell directly to the public. I don't know where they get their Flags from, or if they have the double-sided embroidered Flags you're looking for.

Also, I see double-sided embroidered Flags on eBay all the time. I don't know who make or merchandizes them, but I'm pretty sure they are the same ones imported by Ruffin.

For the record, I am a Navy Veteran (Vietnam War), and when I fly my Navy Flags they are made-in-the-USA, aniline-dyed, U.S. Navy Flags! They may cost a little bit more, but they are more than worth it!

What sized poles and Flags are you going to be using, and where did you decide to mount them?

Thanx! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures real soon!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

8. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

9. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

My Ensign is a 2x4 and my U.S. Navy flag is a 3x5. I would like to get a 2x4 double sided emroidered one!

10. Robin Hickman

11. Navycook2

Navycook2 New Member

No they are mounted on the same brick opposite side! It looks so off because my U.S. Navy flag is bigger!

12. Robin Hickman

Ah-Ha!

NOW I See!!!

Thanx!

Robin