USA flag display w/ other country flags

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Dan Wydra, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Dan Wydra

Dan Wydra New Member

All, I have a question relating to the display of the American flag. While passing a business in lower Michigan yesterday I observed a display of flags I do not believe was correct. There were three flag poles installed perpendicular to the highway I was on. The one furthest from the road was the tallest which proudly displayed our nations colors, the middle flag pole which was a bit shorter displayed a Canadian flag and the third pole, the shortest, displayed the flag of the state of Michigan. From my memory of being a boy scout I thought that the Michigan flag should have been in the middle followed by the Canadian flag. Please advise. God Bless American and keep his name in our pledge. Thanks, Dan.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Dan, welcome!

the one furthest from the road was the tallest which proudly displayed our nations colors, the middle flag pole which was a bit shorter displayed a Canadian flag and the third pole, the shortest, displayed the flag of the state of Michigan.

There are two principles involved here. First,when two or more national flags are displayed together they should be at the same height -- it's not correct to put the US flag higher than the Canadian flag. Second, national flags take precedence over flags of sub-national units such as states and provinces, which means that both the US and Canadian flags should be higher than and/or to the viewer's left of the Michigan flag. As you describe it, the display violates the first principle, but not the second. As far as I can see, there is no correct way to display those three flags on poles that are of different heights, because it would involve one of the two national flags being higher than the other.

From my memory of being a boy scout I thought that the Michigan flag should have been in the middle followed by the Canadian flag.

Actually, that would be even worse, for the reasons explained above.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

3. ewub585377

ewub585377 New Member

I am a contractor working In Baghdad for the US Army. I work at Camp Liberty where the United Sates Division-Center is Headquartered. It is referred to that nomiker now since there are no longer any "Coalition Forces" here. Only US Forces and Iraqi Forces. There are no Iraqi soldiers currently assigned to Camp Liberty where US Forces/Contractors work and live.There are three flag poles in front of the Division HQ building. Would you believe that since late January when the 1st Armor Division assummed authority for Baghdad from the 1st Cavalry Division that on these three flag poles, from right to left, are displayed: 1) the Iraqi National flag 2)The 1st Armor Division flag and 3) The United Stated Division-Center flag. You are correct--no where is the United States National flag displayed over this HQ. During 1st Cav's tenure here it was ot displaayed either for "sensitive cultural reasons" but the Iraqi National flag was NOT displayed then either. Actually the first and third poles each displayed one flag for the United States Division-Center and the center pole displayed the 1st Cavalry Division flag. That was far more palatable than looking at an Iraqi National flag over a US Army Division HQ WITHOUT having Old Glory flying beside it. I'm not sure if this violates some law or regulation. If you go to German or Italy you will see both Old Glory and the Host Nation flag displayed. Also there seems to be a strong ambivilance of the command element in correcting this issue. I wonder what Congress would say? Afterall, I am informed by some co-workers who are currently assinged to United States Division-North and United States Division-South that the national colors are proudly displayed above thoseHQ buildings.