Vehicle Display (roof)

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Warren Rley, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Warren Rley

Warren Rley New Member

2 questions that I did not see answers to in other forum posts.

1.) If an American Flag is painted onto the roof of a car, I know that the union goes towards the front of the vehicle. But I can't determine whether the union goes on the left (drivers side) or right (passengers side)?

2.) I also have a Jeep Wrangler that I intend to fly 2 different flags from the side roll bars coming down in the back on each side of the vehicle (not the cross beam of the roll cage). One flag will be the American Flag and the other a flag for a local sports team. So here's my question: If I fly the flags on opposite roll bars, should the American Flag go on the driver side roll bar or on the passenger side? Or should I fly both flags on the same side, with the American Flag on top?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Warren!

1.) If an American Flag is painted onto the roof of a car, I know that the union goes towards the front of the vehicle. But I can't determine whether the union goes on the left (drivers side) or right (passengers side)?

Obviously, the flag code doesn't explicitly address this. My reasoning would be that the straight-on view of the flag would be from above the car, and that the union should be on the viewer's left, just as in other cases when the flag is displayed flat with only one side visible. That would put it on the driver's side.

2.) I also have a Jeep Wrangler that I intend to fly 2 different flags from the side roll bars coming down in the back on each side of the vehicle (not the cross beam of the roll cage). One flag will be the American Flag and the other a flag for a local sports team. So here's my question: If I fly the flags on opposite roll bars, should the American Flag go on the driver side roll bar or on the passenger side? Or should I fly both flags on the same side, with the American Flag on top?

The general rule seems to be that the place of honor is on the right side of a vehicle. The flag code says that when a flag is displayed on a "motorcar" :))), "the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right front fender." This is the custom followed on diplomatic limousines, for example -- the national flag goes on the right, and the official's flag on the left.

3. Warren Rley

Warren Rley New Member

Thanks for responding Peter. I understand the code doesn't explicitly the roof of the vehicle and address this specific situation in question 1, but just a few clarifying questions:

1.) If one stands in front of the vehicle and then looks at the roof, wouldn't the viewer's left be the passengers side of the car? So wouldn't it depend on from which direction your perspective is? If the place of prominence on a vehicle is the front right (as in your answer to #2), would that also be the perspective to look at the roof? If that's the case, wouldn't the union then go on on the front left side of the viewer from that perspective which would then be over the passenger side?

2.) Since the code doesn't specifically address the roof of the vehicle, would you be wrong either way?

3.) Totally understand your answer to #2.

4. Peter Ansoff

If one stands in front of the vehicle and then looks at the roof, wouldn't the viewer's left be the passengers side of the car? So wouldn't it depend on from which direction your perspective is?

Yes, it would. Actually, if you chose that as your perspective, then the union should be toward the rear of the vehicle, because otherwise the flag will look upside down. If you view the vehicle from the back or the sides, you'll get different answers. You need to choose which perspective to use, and that one that seems most logical [to me, anyway] is the one perpendicular to the surface on which the flag is displayed. That's implicitly what we do when a flag is displayed on a wall, which is the basis of the Flag Code's recommendation. If the flag is flag on top of the vehicle, facing up, then the perpendicular view is from above.

Since the code doesn't specifically address the roof of the vehicle, would you be wrong either way?

Well, it sort of depends on what you mean by "wrong." The Flag Code is just advisory; from a legal standpoint you can do anything you want. However, I think it makes sense to use a chain of reasoning based on what is in the code. If nothing else, it will help you win arguments when other people question the way you did it.

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I would think that since the "Union" (Blue Canton with the White Stars) is the most "important" part of the U.S. Flag, that if it were to be on top of a vehicle, the Union should be to the front of the roof (leading the way) and on the passenger-side (right) of the car. I am basing my opinion on an American Flag, on the roof of an American car (motorcar!), in the United States of America, AND the American "Flag Code" and its "right-front fender rule" for motorcars.

Just Sayin' . . . . .

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

6. Warren Rley

Warren Rley New Member

Thanks Robin. I think I agree with that assessment.

7. Peter Ansoff

Well, I suppose that's as good a line of reasoning as any! For what it's worth, it's what the Brits do on their Mini Coopers:

YMCA Parking Lot.jpg

They don't have a canton, but the upper hoist is still generally considered the point of honor, so I guess they're following Robin's assumptions. For them that's the driver's side, of course!

Attached Files:

8. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Peter!

Well, it's how I would have it on the top of my "motorcar". I do remember about the Mini-Coopers and their "Union Jack" roofs. And I remember which way is "up" for them. I just wish I'd have thought about posting a picture of one like you did! (But, then, posting a picture here can be a bit of a pain in the neck, so I post most of my Flag pictures on my Facebook Page.

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.