Vertical display of my two state flags (informal)

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by abard124, Jul 19, 2014.

1. abard124

abard124 New Member

I live in Texas, but I'm originally from Oregon, so I decided to display the flags of each state on the wall of my apartment. I found the proper display rules for the Texas flag quite easily (no surprise there), with the white stripe on the left, but I couldn't find the proper hanging protocol for the Oregon flag. I would display it to be uniform with the Texas rules, except Oregon has a double-sided flag, and so if it were to be displayed in the same orientation as Texas's flag, the back of the flag would be showing, which doesn't seem right. Since the orientation of the Texas flag can be seen even by inexperienced observers by looking at the orientation of the star, though, it is pretty obvious that by showing the front of the Oregon flag, the tops of the flags re facing each other. So, I've come up with some options:

Option 1: Flip the Texas flag even though it isn't pursuant to code, since it's in a private indoor space that not many people will see anyway.
    Option 2: Flip the Oregon flag and display the back.
    Option 3: Rotate the Oregon flag so that "State of Oregon" displays from the left. I don't like this option because it would put the rivets at the bottom and I would have to pierce the flag in order to hang it, but it is the most uniform option.
    Option 4: Leave it as is, even though it looks strange.

Thoughts?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Abard124!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Hang the Texas State Flag (vertically) per the State's official protocols. Hang the State of Oregon Flag vertically simply by rotating it 90 degrees CLOCKWISE, so that the FRONT of the Flag is showing, and white header and grommets are at the top and the "fly end" is at the bottom.

That should take care of it quite nicely! :cool:

BTW : If the two State Flags are going to be hung on the same wall, side-by-side (vertically OR horizontally), the Texas Flag should be on the (viewers') left, and the Oregon Flag on the right. Why? The Texas Flag takes "precedence" over the Oregon Flag due to its entering The Union BEFORE Oregon (Texas - December 29, 1845, and Oregon - February 14, 1859).

I hope that helps clear things up for you! :cool:

So, where IS your (new) Texas "hometown", and where WAS your (old) Oregon "hometown" ???

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. abard124

abard124 New Member

Thanks so much! I currently have the Oregon flag on the left, but I will switch them! Actually I think it will look better that way anyway since the normal top of each flag will be facing the outside...

I grew up in Lake Oswego, Oregon, outside of Portland, but now I go to school at the University of Texas, which is in Austin.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, again! :cool:

Are you hanging the Flags inside on a wall or in a window?

The advice I gave was for hanging them inside on a wall. If they are going to be hung in a window, then the same advice would apply for viewing them from the OUTSIDE. From the INSIDE, they would be reversed and in the case of the Oregon Flag you'd be looking at the image of the Beaver. From the OUTSIDE the Texas Flag would be on the outside viewers' LEFT, but from the INSIDE the Texas Flag would be on the inside viewers' RIGHT. Make sense? I sure hope so!

I live in Eugene and I've been in Lake Oswego a few times and driven past it more than a few times on I-205. I've never been to Texas, or a least not yet.

Good Luck! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. abard124

abard124 New Member

They're inside on a wall.

I've been to Eugene once. It was on the worst day for allergies in Eugene in recorded history, and Eugene's allergies are worse than Portland's anyway. That was the day that I learned that I could be affected by allergies. So that's my memory of Eugene :-D