Very large 45 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Vernon DeBuff, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Vernon DeBuff

Vernon DeBuff New Member

I have come across a very large 45 star flag. It is 8 x 12 feet. The stars are sewn on. Each stripe is a separate piece of material. Can anyone tell me what the value of this might be?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Vernon DeBuff!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

It's almost impossible to come up with a "value" for your 45-Star American Flag unless we can see it. Is there any way that you can post pictures of your Flag? I don't know if you can completely unfold it to get a picture of the entire Flag, but although it wouldn't be necessary, it would be a help.

The U.S. Flag had 45-Stars for 12 years: from July 4th, 1896 to July 3rd, 1908.

The pics that would help determine the value of your Flag would be to show the relative "richness" of the Flag's colors; any markings (tags, stencils, printing, writing, etc.) anywhere on the Flag that would help to ID who made it; close-ups of all four corners; close-ups of the stitching and hemming; close-ups of any rips, tears, or holes (large or small). The pics would show the construction details and the relative condition of the Flag itself.

One of the many things I've learned while being a member here is that for Flag collectors an 8'x12' Flag is rather large. Most of them seem to prefer smaller Flags. One of the main reasons they prefer smaller Flags is that they take up less room.

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Vernon DeBuff

Vernon DeBuff New Member

Here are some pix of my 45 star flag, 8 x 12 feet, and the box I found it in.

Attached Files:

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Vernon,
    If you have pictured the majority of the damage to your flag it is in very good condition, indeed. However as Robin Hickman noted, very large flags are not very displayable. You would have to find a serious Spanish American War collector, or turn-of-the-century themed restaurant, or historically minded business that would want your flag for display. You might try posting the flag for sale on eBay with a minimum bid or reserve price of $250.00, which is about the max price that a sewn 45 star flag has sold for in the last couple of months.
    Nick