Very large 45 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by stevemoores, Nov 29, 2009.

1. stevemoores

stevemoores New Member

I have a very large (8'x12') 45 star flag that belonged to my ggg grandfather (civil war vet). It was stored, folded like a sheet in a bag, in my grandparents attic for many years before I was able to get posession of it. It is wool and is showing some deterioration where it was folded. I currently has it folded properly in a flag display case. Is there any hope of restoring this family heirloom or should I just leave it alone and in the case? I hope to pass it on to my grandson when the time comes.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Steve,
    Because large antique flags showing wear or damage do not have a very high collector demand, your flag has more value to your family. You can probably have the damaged areas repaired by darning them with woolen thread of the same colors. The cost to properly "restore" a flag (as is done with silken Civil War regimental colors) runs into the thousands of dollars, often ten thousand $ or more. As sewn wool 45 star flags generally sell in the $100 to $300 range depending upon size and condition, it is not likely to be cost-effective.
    Nick

3. csaanv

csaanv Member

Steve,
    Would you have any photos of the flag?