very large 48 star flag with name

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by peacewing Baldwin, Jul 28, 2009.

1. peacewing Baldwin

peacewing Baldwin New Member

Hello and Greetings,

We have an old what we believe to be a coffin flag, it is made from what we think is muslin, has a few holes in it, it is very large and long, we would love to have this flag returned to the family....the name on the bottom of the flag is H.A. Murphy, penned in with red ink on the white border, Is this a soldiers coffin flag? Does it have any worth? I have searched the name and gotten nothing..also there is no name of the manufacturer on the flag.

Thank you so much..God Bless America

Peacewing Baldwin

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

World War II and Korean War era internment flags were generally cotton bunting with stars machine sewn to each side. They measure 5 feet wide by 9 1/2 feet long. The veteran could have served any time from the Civil War on and died in the 1940's or 1950's and would have been buried with that flag on his coffin. These flags routinely sell for $25 to $50 on eBay.

3. peacewing Baldwin

peacewing Baldwin New Member

Thank you so much, do you have any suggestions on where i could find the soldiers name or family? My Husband said , indeed the stars hand sewn on both sides... do you have any suggestions that we might follow to actually look for these people to find if they would be even interested in recieving this flag back?

This flag was found in a barn sale in Pittsford Vermont, and the man said he himself had picked it up else where, it touched my heart back then and it still does, it needs to go home. thanks so much for your kind information

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I would try contacting the Department of Veteran's Affairs. Their home page is here: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Regards,
    Nick