Veterans burial flag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by gwolf, Oct 12, 2010.

1. gwolf

gwolf New Member

I am administrator of an estate for a veteran. At the burial, the person who coordinated the service decided the flag should go to her daughter(neice of deceased) who was probably closest neice to deceased. The 1 surviving brother of the deceased could not travel to the burial but has now requested the flag. The neice has told me that the flag is property of the military ;therefore not property of the estate. I have proposed a sharing arrangement with no luck to date.

Is there a protocal/rule/ guideline on who should be awarded flag whether at the service or not?

They both have good reasons for the flag and cared dearly about the deceased.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you,

Greg

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

I don't think the niece has her facts straight. The is flag given to the family of the deceased as a token of appreciation for his/her service. It is a gift. The executor of the estate has the final word in these matters if it is not spelled out in the will. Good luck!

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Greg ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums ! :D

A bit of a "sticky" situation, eh? :cool:

CSAANV's observation is correct. About the only thing I can think of adding is that the "interment" Flag ("burial", "casket", etc.) is usually given to the "next of kin" at the burial or interment ceremony.

I am NOT sure of the "pecking order" of the "next of kin". I would assume that if the service member or veteran is un-married the Flag would go to the parents (probably the Mother) if they were still alive. If married, it would go to the spouse. I'm sure that somebody, somewhere has a list (official or un-official) that spells it all out!

At any rate, I'd bet that a "brother" "out-ranks" a niece in anybody's book!

I would suggest presenting it to the deceased's brother with the understanding that upon his death it would then go to the niece in question.

At any rate, may you come up with a workable solution that would make Solomon proud!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA