Vintage "Bennington" Flag help

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Fritz, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Hello all, just found this site while researching an old flag that came into my posession and am woundering if I may get some assistance in identifing a possible time frame my flag came from. A friend of mine found this at an estate sale along with quite a few other vintage turn of the century pieces, but I would like to get a bit more info on it. The fabric seems to be very thin linen material and it is printed, I did a black light on it and it doesn't glow, looks to be a older loose weave in the fabric. Any thoughts?

Fritz

Attached Files:

2. Fritz

Fritz New Member

closeup of the fabric

Attached Files:

3. Fritz

Fritz New Member

here is another closeup

Attached Files:

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Fritz,
    You did not tell us what the dimensions of your flag are, but it looks identical to 12 inch by 18 inch printed stick flags made during the 1960's and 1970's. It may be earlier, maybe as early as the George Washington Bicentennial of 1932 but I don't see anything that would lead me to say 1930's vs 1970's. (A "negative" black light test doesn't necessarily tell you the age of a flag. A "positive" test where the fabric glows under black light does indicate newer materials, but a negative test just tells you it is not made from fabric processed with certain chemicals.)

Nick

5. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Thanks, it measures 16" x 11" . Thanks

6. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Nick, any way to confirm are on this flag?

Fritz

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

What do you want to confirm? Age? I can't see how to pin it down any closer than "high probability it was made 1960 to 1980" and "very low probability it is as old as 1030's."

8. Fritz

Fritz New Member

OK, thanks.

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

"very low probability it is as old as 1030's."

Yes, there is, indeed, an extremely low probability that your flag dates to the 11th Century. What I meant, of course, was that it was not very likely that the flag was from the 1930's.

Nick