Violations of Flag Flying - What to do

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by goofyduck77, Apr 11, 2011.

1. goofyduck77

goofyduck77 New Member

I live in a building run by HUD. There is a flagpole with the US flag flying in front. From reading the flag code: first, they have it flying 24 hours a day. According to the rules, this isn't allowed unless the flag is illuminated at night. Second, they do not fly the flag at half mast on the occasions dictated by the code. March 15 was one and they did not fly the flag at half mast. The flag was tattered for months, and I understand that once the flag is tattered, it should be replaced as soon as possible. They finally replaced it and the old one was thrown in the trash. And, lastly, according to the chart, the flag is disproportational to the flagpole. It is too small. It should be a 4x6 and it is not, it is a 3x5.

What do I do? I mentioned the Buckles memorial half-mast and they did nothing - "We'll check into it"
    I mentioned it being tattered and the rules - they took two weeks to replace it.
    I mentioned the flying at night - 'we'll look into it.
    And now I'm considered a "troublemaker"

What do I do with a building that is simplying flying the flag 24 hours a day and is virtually following NONE of the rules of flag flying?:confused:

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Gee! :eek:

I wonder what would happen if ALL the local area MEDIA outlets were notified (in a friendly, informative manner with "hard copy" back-up materials) that a government housing building was in "apparent" violation of the "Flag Code" and wasn't doing anything to "fix" things ??? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm . . . . . ??? :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. goofyduck77

goofyduck77 New Member

Thanks for the idea - excellent!

4. KABAR2

KABAR2 New Member

Under the present admin at least it's still flying..... I worked for a municapality back in the 90's
    there was a flag pole outside the foreman's office at the city yard the flag was tattered and faded
    I mentioned it to the foreman and nothing happened..... one day when he was out I took it down
    and said nothing...... it was replaced the next day......He knew I took it down but decided to let it alone
    sometimes being proactive gets results.... in this situation though it would propably get one arrested....