WARNING Miniature fakes on eBay WARNING

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by NAVA1974, Jan 21, 2011.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

WARNING TO EBAY BIDDERS

The printed cotton flags currently being offered on eBay at:

mentalmike2002 items - Get great deals on flag, Collectibles items on eBay.com!

are fooling a number of bidders. :mad: These flags are from a set of 48 reproductions made for the Bicentennial in 1976 and originally sold for $1 each. (I bought my first set from a WinnDixie in Atlanta, and subsequently bought a half-dozen complete sets off eBay for $5 each.)

Apparently some bidders think the 38-star flags appear the most authentic, with the 13 star flags running a close second. But believe me, THEY ARE ALL REPRODUCTIONS LESS THAN 35 YEARS OLD.:eek:

If you are reading this after 9:00 p.m. on Friday, January 21, then the first group of flags has closed but there are others that close next week.

Also notice his sales requirements: "Although I attempt to represent the item as accurately as I am able, I am not an expert. Ask questions and be very specific.Don’t blame me if you didn’t ask."

He also makes it clear that NO RETURNS ARE ACCEPTED.

"If you have any problems with this listing, shipping costs, descriptions, communications, etc. please contact me so that I can correct the problem."

Not so. I told him they were all reproductions from the 1970's, but he chose not to do anything about it.

By the way, I will sell one of my MINT IN BOX sets of all 48 flags for whatever price the highest of these fakes sells for!:D

Nick

2. coasterville

coasterville Member

I've seen that set on eBay from time to time at a reasonable price, if I recall.

None on eBay right now, but every now and then they pop up.

That 38 star repro is up to $61.00

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Those first 13 reproductions sold for a total of over $1700.00!!!

At that rate, a full set of 48 is worth over $6000!

A BARGAIN for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY:
    I will sell you a set of all 48 repros for a mere $5000!!:eek:

Heck, I'll discount the set NINETY PERCENT and let you have a set for only $500!! :D

I bet the bidders who won those flags are going to be pi$$ed when they learn their flags are virtually worthless.:mad:

Caveat emptor.

Nick

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Nick ! :D
    Hi, Dave ! :D

I saw those on eBay and I thought about posting an entry here about them, but I changed my mind because there wasn't enough time. I was a little curious as to how so many similar sized "antique" miniature flags all ended up in one place at one time.

My entry would have been the "Wow! Hey! Look at these miniature flags!", type of thing, and not the "DANGER, Will Robinson! DANGER!" type of entry..... :eek:

And, no, before you ask, I did NOT bid on any of those little flags. :cool:

"Flags On eBay" Forum coming soon to a USA-Flag-Site.org Forums near you???

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. coasterville

coasterville Member

I don't have the set in question, though it does look pretty nifty. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I do have a much smaller but similar type set on my end table at work. It's the Annin "Flags of our country" set - has 10 pieces.

So says the guy that bought the 192 UN Member nation mini flag set...

eBay users take note - seeing the shenanigans going on in a hobby our collective member base knows something about makes you wonder about some of the items in categories I know nothing about.

Also while on the topic - anyone noticed that "set of 15 flags" - they look to be 3x5 and are a mix between military branch flags and some nations (I remember Phillipines, India, and Australia among the bunch) I've noticed the asking price is like $24, I've also noted that set has been on ebay for quite some time now. Looks like maybe somebody selling a small collection, but, the pics don't give me any assurance the flags are any better quality than the "Any flag for $3" deals you can get off eBay. Anobody else noted that item?

One of the times I was so GLAD I was outbid was when somebody had what they billed as a 50 US States mini flag set on eBay with what looked like a homemade base. It wasn't till I looked closer at the pics till I realized the flags pictured were a hodge podge of US States, canadian provinces, world nations, just a real mess, and some looked a little worn.

Had to laugh at the one item - the item pic is a graphic about 20 International flags, except the graphic is misspelled and the item description even pointed it out. 20 world flags for $150 (approx) or $7.50 each - so its not even that good a deal.

Here it is
    Set of 20 International Country 3'x5' Polyester Flags - eBay (item 290372473314 end time Feb-13-11 13:09:07 PST)

Contrast the original topic of this thread with this seller that is trying to unload an old collection of world mini flags:
    12 VINTAGE 5" X 8" INTERNATIONAL COTTON COUNTRY FLAGS - eBay (item 160533385787 end time Jan-23-11 11:27:03 PST)

Priced right, no trying to get rich. They claim they have 200 flags to list, so far they have only put up two lots of 12 that I can see. Might be someone to watch if you are into that sort of item.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I actually found an ACCURATE flag listing on eBay:D

Here is an eBay seller with one of the flags from the same minature set of 48:

SERAPIS AMERICAN FLAG REVOLUTIONARY WAR FLAG VINTAGE - eBay (item 320646353867 end time Jan-26-11 16:18:01 PST)

He describes the Serapis flag but includes critical information:

"I believe this flag was issued at the time of America's bicentennial in 1976."

That simple, honest, and accurate statement allows me to give this eBay seller FIVE STARS for his/her listing. :)

If you compare his Serapis or Texel flag to all the mini flags that were referenced earlier in this string you will find they are all printed cotton of the same size and with the same odd loop stitching at the ends. Ya think they mighta' been made at the same time?:confused:

By the way, when these flags were sold through supermarkets they were stapled to golden-colored platic staffs with the text "Golden State Specialty Co. Hollywood Ca." But I guess when you remove them from the sticks and let them age in a less-than-climate-controlled atmosphere, you get REAL ANTIQUES! :cool:

Nick A

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

David,
    Those flags appear to be authentic, period flags from the 1960's to 1980's. A number are even obsolete, like the Blue Yellow Red flag with the communist Romanian arms in the middle.
    Nick