Washington Bunting Wool Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Clarissa Gunn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Clarissa Gunn

Clarissa Gunn New Member

I have a flag question. I know this threads old, but i hope someone sees it. I got a flag from a thriftstore. It is made of wool. The tag says "Washington Bunting wool" I dont care about a value. But would like an age.. and maybe an idea of what it was used for.. I thought a castket flag. But it has loops going up the side. Making me think it flew.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Clarissa Gunn!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Please NOTE: I am NOT an expert on "historical" Flag fabrics! Most of what I've learned about Flags, especially US/American Flags, I've learned here.

My understanding about American Flags made of wool is that historically wool was generally the "fabric of choice" for Flags made before World War 2 and a few years after. During the War, wool was "rationed" for civilians because it was considered necessary for the "War Effort". Most of the Flags that were made during the War were primarily for use by the Government & Armed Forces. However, as the War continued, cotton slowly became the Flag "fabric of choice" as it was easier to obtain. Most of the "post war" Flags were made of cotton right up to the 1960's & 1970's. Although nylon had been invented & patented in the 1930's, it wasn't used for Flags until the late 1950's, early 1960's. It's popularity grew as folks realized that nylon Flags lasted a LOT longer than cotton ones. In the 1990's (1994?), the Dupont Company developed an improved nylon for use in outdoor products (awnings, tents, etc.), including Flags. It was more UV ray resistant and the dyed colors didn't fade quite as fast. It is known by the trade name as "SolarMax".

Most of the "Interment" (casket, coffin, burial, funeral, etc.) Flags are 5'x9½' in size. Almost all of them, if not all, are/were made of cotton, and have been since WW2. The major "differences" between the "older" and "newer" ones are the number of Stars (48, 49, or 50 Stars), and if the Stars are "appliqued" (older) or embroidered (newer) onto the blue canton (or "Union"). These days, almost all U.S. Flags that are 6'x10' and smaller, are made with embroidered Stars, and all Flags 8'x12' and larger are made with appliqued Stars. Some American Flags, 4'x6' and smaller, are made using an aniline dying/printing process on a single sheet of fabric.

Do you have any photographs of your Flag? If so, you could post some of them here so that we could see the Flag and some of its construction details such as the "header" (usually a white canvas strip with steel, zinc, of brass grommets are attached), the "fly end", and the stitching on the Stripes and the Flag's hems.

Like I said, I am NOT an "expert" on "vintage" or "antique" Flags, but we have some members who really ARE experts when it comes to those sort of things! I just happened to be the first member to reply to your comment here.

Hopefully, our "admin", Peter Ansoff, will be able to start/create a new "thread" for your entry! That way it will be easier to find, read, and comment on!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hopefully, our "admin", Peter Ansoff, will be able to start/create a new "thread" for your entry! That way it will be easier to find, read, and comment on!

Your "Admin" agrees -- done!

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Thank you, Peter!

I hope Clarissa Gunn comes back and posts some pictures of her "Washington Bunting Wool" Flag!

Robin