Washington Post Article on a flag collector

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by NAVA1974, Jul 4, 2010.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

It's a great article, and includes some fine photos of Nick and his collection. The interviewer got most of her facts right (I think), which is somewhat unusual in my experience. Well done, Nick!!

The same issue of the Post contains a review of Marla Miller's new book "Betsy Ross and the Making of America." Several of us had had the chance to meet Dr. Miller recently at a presentation in Baltimore. I have only skimmed the book so far, but she seems to have taken a thorough and scholarly approach to evaluating the Betsy Ross legend.

Have a good 4th, everyone!

Peter Ansoff

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I liked the article and the two pictures! :D

I did NOT like having to register on the Washington Post website! :mad:

I think I enjoyed the video more that the article. Hearing the words and seeing the person speaking them seemed to work out better (in this case). :D

I read the "so-called" book review. Not much there in the way of "reviewing". If it were a 7th grade book report, it would have gotten a solid F.

Robin

PS. Betsy Ross RULES !!! :D

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Thank you, Peter. I was most fortunate in that the reporter took the time to listen to me and to go over facts in order to get the details correct. :)

I have only been interviewed a few times in my life but this was the first where I felt that truth and accuracy were the goals, not making sensational headlines. (If she had visited our basement I suppose the article could have been titled "Flag hoarder buried under yards of red, white, and blue." ;)

Nick

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Thanks, Robin. I only wish I had access to the dozens of photos that the photographer took. I could write a book using those alone!

Sorry about the Washington Post sign up requirement. I think most major newspapers do that nowadays.

Nick