What Do You See?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by FlagAdvocate, Jul 22, 2018.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

What Do You See?.png
    I personally have a problem with this image which has been in print for years on Veterans Day. It depicts the silhouette of a uniformed soldier saluting with the American flag in the background. As a vet myself, I would face and salute the flag with my right hand, not turn my back to the flag and salute as I see in this image. A soldier facing the flag would never salute with the left hand. What do you see?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

….
    Maybe the "left-handed salute" is supposed to represent someone (probably "military"), with a representation of an American Flag BEHIND them, saluting veterans who are viewing the image???
    …..

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I concur with Robin. What springs to mind is the film Patton where General Patton salutes with a huge American flag behind him. As a vet I have always saluted facing the flag but in some circumstances this isn't always possible. I think that you have a flag and a vet saluting is more than enough to waiver protocol. Just my take on it.

UJ