What is correct parade line-up for Memorial Day

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by applegatedeerfarm, May 11, 2011.

1. applegatedeerfarm

applegatedeerfarm New Member

We are in a small town and do not have a military presence. Looking to know the correct line-up of parade participants. Need your assist, please. Our Parade is preceeded by the Sheriff's dept, for safety. Followed by the USA flag, then the veterans. My question is, who should follow the veterans? Should the dignitaries follow the veterans or should the Grand Marshall follow the veterans?:confused:

2. flagnazi

flagnazi Member

Edgar: First, I wouldn't say I am an expert on order. I would thank you for putting the Vets following the US Flag. I, too, am from a small town. We, too, have the Sheriff first then the American Legion with the Colors and then the Grand Marshall. If I were in your town I would probably have the dignitaries follow the Grand Marshall. It is my understanding that they are usually chosen to be in the position of honor. Just my opinion, not based on any documented literature. Perhaps Peter or Nick will comment. Mike
  3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

As far as I know, there are no hard-and-fast rules on this, and I've seen many variations. For example, sometimes the dignitaries all march in a group (or ride in antique cars, or whatever), and sometimes they are scattered throughout the parade order. Obviously, there are a few common-sense rules. For example, you want to separate the bands so that they won't interfere with each others' music and cadence. Also, in general, it's good to intersperse the different types of units (color guards, bands, vehicles, floats, mounted units, scouts, Shriners' cars, etc.) to make it more interesting for the spectators.

Let us know how it goes, Edgar! Maybe you could post a couple of photos here for us.

Peter Ansoff