when and when not to fly Old Glory

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by flagboy, Apr 15, 2012.

1. flagboy

flagboy New Member

Hey this is my first post. My 1st question is can anyone tell a citezen of the US when they can or cant fly the flag? The reason I ask is cuase I still live with my parents for now have nt found my own home yet but I have my own flagpole and Flags that paid for with my money yet they tell me when I cant fly it. This dont seem right. Please give me guidence on this.:mad:

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, flagboy -- welcome aboard!

From a legal standpoint, you can fly the US flag any time you want to, and the "Flag Code" says that "The flag should be displayed on all days . . ." and also lists the holidays when flag-flying is especially encouraged. As to what your parents' objections might be, well, I guess you need to tell us!

Peter Ansoff
  3. flagboy

flagboy New Member

they dont want me to fly my flag purchased with my money beacuase of weather conditions but its the best quality all weather flag
  4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

A flag is of little use unless displayed.

The Bible put it thus: "No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house." (Matthew 5:15)

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland
  5. coasterville

coasterville Member

We are forgetting one thing. The poster says he still lives in parent's house. You know the old adage of "Live under my roof, follow my rules"

That said, it is good to see we have another budding patriot in our midst, always a good thing.

Just bear in mind when you do go to look for that first condo, apartment, or house, that out in "The Real World" there are the ever growing homeowners associations to deal with. If flying a flag is important to you, you will want to make note of any restrictions enforced by landlords, condo boards, HOA,s ets.

(Or read the numerous threads on this board about the topic. Yes there is some legislation about "Right to fly the flag" but the HOA's can still limit you to the size and method of display.

Now, the part about inclement weather - yes I understand newer flags are "all-weather" flags, just bear in mind that for many years, people grew up with "You put the flag away at sundown, never let it get wet, never let it touch the ground, etc" Sounds like in your case, it may merely be a case of that traditional school of flag care.
  6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Dave raises a good point. The original 1923 version of the flag code said that the flag should be flown every day "weather permitting." That was before the days of nylon flags that are far more weather-resistant, and the current version of the flag code does not contain that restriction. It's increasingly common to fly flags 24/7, regardless of the weather. Of course, they still do wear out eventually.

Peter Ansoff