Which star for which state?

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by Peter Devin, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Peter Devin

Peter Devin New Member

I am a highpointer and trying to climb the highest point in each state. Properly done, we should take a picture at the top with a US flag pointing to the star of the state we have just ascended. Trouble is, I don't know which star stands for which state. Does anyone know? Have looked around on internet but found nothing.
    Pete

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Pete -- welcome!

I don't know which star stands for which state.

Officially, the individual stars do not stand for any particular state. The law that defines the flag (4 USC 1 Sections 1 and 2) just says that there will be as many stars as there are states.

I've seen diagrams in books and such that identify the stars to the states according to the order in which they joined the union. Generally, they start with Delaware in the top left and go along the horizontal rows, ending up with Hawaii on the bottom right. This is completely unofficial, however.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. Thanks a lot for clearing things...thanks for info :)

4. bhandarigroup

bhandarigroup New Member

I also want to thank Peter for the information. But, he told that it is unofficial. So any one who can clear all the things straight forward.

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Straight forward, officially, NO STAR represents any one state. All the stars, together, represent all the states.

The law says that the flag will have as many stars as there are states. It does NOT say that each state has a star.

Nick

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

ALL the White Stars (collectively) in the Blue Canton on the Flag of the United States of America represent ALL of the individual States (collectively) in the UNION that makes up the United States of America.

That's WHY the BLUE Canton, filled with its WHITE Stars, is called THE UNION !!!

See ?

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

That sounds pretty straightforward to me!:D

Nick

8. Robin Hickman

The Blue Union with its constellation of White Stars often reminds me that before the Civil War that the noun "United States" was a "plural" one: as in, "the United States ARE". After the Civil Was the noun "United States" became a "singular" one: as in, "the United States IS".

"The Union" is the motto of which State of The Union ?

{ HINT : "The Union" is on their State Flag. } :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, OREGON, USA

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hmm, I know that "National Union - State Sovereignty" is on Illinois' flag...

Nick

10. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Boy, you couldn't get "The Union" on that state flag any smaller if you tried, unless it was on the license plate of that Conestoga Wagon...:D

11. Robin Hickman

QUOTE (Nick) : "Hmm, I know that "National Union - State Sovereignty" is on Illinois' flag..."

IT IS ???

[​IMG]

Well, whaddaya know !!! :eek:

It's right there in the red banner/ribbon !

Learn something NEW every day !!! :D

(I'm sure glad that they added the word "Illinois" to the flag! Otherwise I might never have known WHICH State's flag it was. I wonder if they were copying the way MONTANA did theirs?) :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

12. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

In an earlier post in this thread, I said:

The law that defines the flag (4 USC 1 Sections 1 and 2) just says that there will be as many stars as there are states.

Actually, this is not quite correct. As it currently stands, the law says that there are 48 stars on the flag, and that a star will be added on the 4th of July following the admittance of each new state. Interestingly, there is no provision for what happens if a state leaves the union. If, say, the independence movement in Hawaii were to succeed, the flag would not change. Congess would have to amend the law to reduce the number if stars.

Peter Ansoff

13. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Illinois did it before Montana. Actually a number of states have messed up their flags by adding the state names over the last 60+ years:mad:

Oklahoma in 1946
    Kansas in 1961
    Illiniois in 1969
    Wisconsin in 1979
    Montana in 1981

In each case the name was added to make the flag more recognizable. What stupid thinking. You make the flag more recogniziable by totally redesigning it so that it doesn't look like half of the other state flags, using simple and distinctive symbolism, then teach the population what their flag looks like.
    Once you know the symbolism of the flags of Texas, New Mexico, Maryland, Alaska, and Arizona how do you ever forget them?

Besides, you avoid the problem when half the time the wind is blowing in the opposite direction and your flags read ANATNOM, NISNOCSIW, SIOINILLI, SASNAK, and AMOHALKO. :D

Nick

(I must admit I still like the flag of Cilbuper Ainrofilac.)

14. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Or we would have a Civil War just like we did under the same situation 149 years ago when the independence movement in 11 southern states succeeded and they seceeded.
    Nick