WHY 5-Pointed Stars On The U.S. Flag ???

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by Robin Hickman, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I hope you all don't mind, but I have a very simple and basic question to ask about the National Flag (Ensign) of the United States of America.

I don't recall seeing the question and/or answer anywhere here on this site or elsewhere, nor do I have a memory seeing anything about it anywhere else. Yet it seems so elementary that SOMEBODY must have asked about it and gotten an answer!

I mean SOMEBODY must have asked it sometime, somewhere, even if they didn't receive an answer to it. If they did, I don't remember seeing it. And what's even WORSE (not to mention embarrassing!), is that I don't know the answer!!! :eek:

Anyway, here's the question.

WHY do the Stars on (in) the United States' Flag have FIVE (5) points ??? :confused:

See? A real simple and basic question about our Nation's Flag.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Because the drawing that accompanies President Eisenhower's Executive Order on the flag shows 5 pointed stars!!:D

What? That didn't answer your question? Oh. Sorry.

How about the fact that 5 is the fewest number of points you can have to turn the symbol from a "cross" to a "star" and that this minimalist design is important if you are trying to identify it flying from a ship miles away? Take a look at our nation's coins until the early 20th Century. The stars all had 6 points, not 5.

As you know, proponents of the Betys Ross legend claim that she showed General Washington how easy it was to make a 5-pointed star.

If you look at David Martucci's page on early illustrations of our flag you will see quite a variety of designs in the stars and other elements: THE 13 STARS AND STRIPES: A SURVEY OF 18TH CENTURY IMAGES

That's enough random musings for one evening.:rolleyes:

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland