Why does the American flag have a gold fringe?

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

I am searching and will continue to look for the explanation & purpose & reason for the U.S. flag that has the gold
    fringe surrounding!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  2. jproffitt10

jproffitt10 Guest

There have been many rumors about the origin, use and purpose of the gold fringe or braided silk that is often found on the American flag. The truth is that there is no specific meaning or significance to such trim on the American flag as it is used nowadays. There are websites, pamphlets, blogs and books that have proclaimed the fringe as having specific hidden meanings to groups ranging from Freemasons, Jewish business interests and non-caucasion groups as well as groups with political agendas like anti-taxation groups and organizations promoting admiralty law and uniform commercial code groups.

The gold fringe adornment found on many American flags is just that--adornment. Many U.S. military flags, courtrooms, municipalities and organizations who hold ceremonies or are involved in parades use American flags with such gold fringe simply for the aesthetic value. In short, many think it looks good, feels good and is fitting.

3. I also found out that according to an exeutive order signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1959, the gold-fringed flag (and, by extension, patch-sized replicas) are to be used exclusively by the armed forces. That order isn't always obeyed, however; many federal courtrooms now feature gold-fringed flags, despite the fact that they should only appear during court-martial.

Michelle

4. tedbriseno

tedbriseno New Member

It appears there IS a meaning to the Gold Fringe. Regardless of any purported "non-meaning" advocates, the fact that it is especially found in Court rooms tells me there is SOMETHING amiss. I don't know what. It's just too much of a coincidence.

5. Jeff Haller

Jeff Haller Guest

According the the USMC NCO hand book the gold fringe was added to
    "military" ( armed forces only) flags indoors only in military buildings only,
    this was done out of respect for the French and the help the gave in WWII.
    In 1959 Pres. Eisenhower signed an ex. order allowing the fringe only in military buildings. During the Iraq war Pres. Bush signed an ex. order outlawing the fringe because of the actions of the French toward the USA.
    Of course the USMC could be all wrong, but I do not think so!

6. peaple789

peaple789 Guest

I believe that the gold border around military insignia flags indicates that the United States is subservient to foreign entities. And the terminology referenced was that we are in “bondageâ€￾.

7. peaple789

peaple789 Guest

Something IS amiss..see 2 posts down by peaple789

8. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, all. Here are some comments on previous posts:

Michelle Kowalski: "I also found out that according to an exeutive order signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1959, the gold-fringed flag (and, by extension, patch-sized replicas) are to be used exclusively by the armed forces. That order isn't always obeyed, however; many federal courtrooms now feature gold-fringed flags, despite the fact that they should only appear during court-martial."

The order that Michelle referred to is Executive Order 10834, signed by President Eisenhower on August 21st, 1959. Its purpose was to revise the design of the flags used by the Executive Branch by adding the 50th star for Hawaii. (The star was officially added to the flag on July 4th, 1960.) The text of the order is available on the National Archives website here:

Federal Register - Executive Orders

As you can see, it said nothing at all about fringes.

Jeff Haller: "According the the USMC NCO hand book the gold fringe was added to "military" ( armed forces only) flags indoors only in military buildings only,
    this was done out of respect for the French and the help the gave in WWII.
    In 1959 Pres. Eisenhower signed an ex. order allowing the fringe only in military buildings. During the Iraq war Pres. Bush signed an ex. order outlawing the fringe because of the actions of the French toward the USA."

President Eisenhower's executive order said nothing about the French, either. It would also make no sense -- we liberated France during World War II, not the other way around. If the USMC NCO handbook really says this, then they need to revise the handbook!

tedbriseno: "It appears there IS a meaning to the Gold Fringe. Regardless of any purported "non-meaning" advocates, the fact that it is especially found in Court rooms tells me there is SOMETHING amiss. I don't know what. It's just too much of a coincidence."

C'mon, folks -- this is real life, not "Harry Potter and the Mysterious Fringe." The only thing "amiss" is that people keep recycling these crazy stories.

Regards,

Peter Ansoff

9. birchbeer

birchbeer New Member

the gold trim on the flag represents the illegal corp gov of the united states of america incorporated/dc.its the seprate nation with in our nation that cateres to the banking cartels and the queen of england. it is a unregistered corp made in england with the big banking families ie rockefellas rothchilds. fdr in 1933 sold us all into servatud for the banks via our birth certs, as cattel when the banks told us that the country was bankrupt in 1933, realy the banks funny money just like today was bankrupt

10. birchbeer

birchbeer New Member

watch empire of the city on google

11. Paul Yall

Paul Yall New Member

To Michelle Kowalski... Ex. order 10834 clearly states its purpose and usage. Please see ex. orders 10670 and 10812. These orders cleary defines their uses for the marines and navy (both dealing with water) and not for the army. These two flags are being used in the courtrooms we are summoned to appear in. By the way, the word (amiss), is it acutually (a miss)?

I would love a response, especially from Michelle.

12. Peter Ansoff

Hello, Paul,

Ex. order 10834 clearly states its purpose and usage. Please see ex. orders 10670 and 10812. These orders cleary defines their uses for the marines and navy (both dealing with water) and not for the army.

This information is not correct, or at least it's very misleading. Executive Order 10834, which you can read here:

Executive Orders

defines the design of the US flag for use by all components of the executive branch of the government, including the Army. Army "colors" have slightly different dimensions from those used by other activities; this is allowed for in Sections 22 and 24 of the Executive Order.

E.O.s 10670 and 10812 define the organizational flags of the US Army and the US Navy, respectively. Neither of them has anything to do with the flag of the United States.

Peter Ansoff

13. Gutta4President

Gutta4President New Member

:d Purity And Love, Peace And Blessings. Allow The So Called "generation" X To Expound And Elaborate. Its The Flag Of Maritime Law, The Gold Fringed Flag. Furthermore, Its Present In Almost Every Courtroom And School Auditorium Stage In The Country. But Y? This Is True, Get Your Tools And Dig. You Do Have Tools Dont You? Anyway, Its All Propoganda Politics And B.s., Once You Learn It. But Still Good To Know In Case I Ever Come Across A Discussion Like This. Im Not Trying To Show Conceit. Heavens No. But I Am Very Proud Of The Things I Know And Im More Than Willing To Teach Anyone. As Long As Your A Positive Energy And Dont Mind Learning A Bit Of Truth From The "lost Generation".:d I Bid You Adue. I Go As I Came With Greetings Of Peace. And Oh Yeah, Its A Banner Not A Flag (star Spangled To Be Exact) But Thats Just My Opinion. Truthfully M Bey W, The Autonomous. Philadelphia Phenom, Barack The Vote!!!!!

14. robbaptista

robbaptista New Member

The gold trim flag alters our red white and blue flag. The red white and blue flag has specific dimensions per title 4 U.S.C. The total length must be 1.9% of the total width. It must have 7 red strips. When folded properly only one red stripe can be visible. The blue area with the stars must have a star for each state. The blue area must be 40% of the total length of the flag. Anything placed above the flag is illegal and takes authority over the flag. Only a device like a pulley to help raise the flag is allowed above the flag. Anything else above the flag suspends the Constitution of the US. The flag advertises the contract between the people and the government of the US. The government servants who are our servants must swear an oath to uphold and defend the constitution. If they fail to do so or serve in official capacity under a flag, that suspends the constitution of the US; they are traitors to their oath. The eagle placed on top of our title 4 flag puts the authority of Rome over the flag. The gold tassel on the flag proclaims that admiralty law is in effect. Admiralty law is the opinion of one man. Why do we then use twelve jurors if only one man's opinion counts? THIS FICTION FLAG was first put in use by the Lincoln administration because at the start of the U.S. civil war the south marched up to within 10 miles of Washington D.C. So the president, his cabinet, and the congress left town for fear of their lives. They vacated for more than 45 days, so that broke the trust by which they governed the states and so they became a fictional government. International law forced them to fly a fictional flag to advertise that they are a fiction because they were in the process of borrowing money from other lands to fight the corrupt war against the south. Any judge that serves under the fiction flag is creating a state within a state. Not OK. The flag we see everywhere today is actually the flag of Puerto Rico. When you walk into any court in the US, you are on a ship in dry-dock registered to Puerto Rico, or port of rico. “Ricoâ€￾ means organized crime. Now do you get why it sucks all the way through? We all have a state of mind the dirt does not, so we all are: Sovereign-states of the unity States of our world.
    This truth is not allowed to be taught in our schools. Any teacher teaching this is fired on the spot, losing all social security rights and more. Study DWMLC.COM FOR MORE INSIGHTS.

15. american_flag_uk

american_flag_uk Moderator

robbaptista....

welcome to USA flag site...

i must say that nearly all what you typed there is an absolutle load of TRIPE!

'The gold trim flag alters our red white and blue flag.'- NO it doesnt - its just a decoration- nothing more

'The red white and blue flag has specific dimensions per title 4 U.S.C. The total length must be 1.9% of the total width.'- Again - wrong.
    Ofiicial flags of the USA are a ratio of 1- 1.9- meaning that if it is 5ft hoist it is 9.5 ft in the fly. (or any other 1-1.9 ratio.)
    Many flags of the USA do NOT meet this official standard - in neither its proportions or its quality. The OFFICIAL flags have set proportions for every part in the flag including the star size, the distance between the stars, the size of the canton (blue area) and the overall proportions. - also it is set out very clearly as to the materials that may be used- right to the last thread.
    the NON OFFICIAL flags are what many will be flying... a flag that is 5x3 ft for example. a very common sized flag that isnt that 1-1.9 ratio.

'It must have 7 red strips' - Yes - on 50 star flags that is certainly true- and 49s and most 48 star flags. Before 1912 there was no set pattern for the stars or the stripes... nothing stopped somebody from making a flag with 7 white stripes and 6 red ones.

'When folded properly only one red stripe can be visible' - Wrong! - when properly folded into a triangle NO stripes should be visable - only stars

'The blue area with the stars must have a star for each state'- On the current flags - Yes - but there is nothing stopping anybody from owning or flying previous official flags of the USA that have less numbers of stars

'The blue area must be 40% of the total length of the flag' - Wrong. On an OFFICIAL US flag the canton reaches over 2/5ths of the total length
    and most flags this is still the case.. however ive seen plenty a flag where it goes over 1/2 the length

'Anything placed above the flag is illegal and takes authority over the flag' Wrong -Any FLAG placed above it is wrong - but NOT illegal. - in the exception of when at sea when a chaplain gives a serman the chirstian flag may temporarily be placed above the US flag.

'Only a device like a pulley to help raise the flag is allowed above the flag' - on a flag pole there is the finial, and the truck- which is the bit the halyard goes into...they are both able to be over the flag.

'The flag advertises the contract between the people and the government of the US' - absolutely WRONG. where the heck did you get that idea from??

'The eagle placed on top of our title 4 flag puts the authority of Rome over the flag' Rubbish again... this post is getting more stupid and further from the truth as it reads down! - the Bald eagle - (which can only be found in the USA) is the national bird of THE usa and stands for freedom.
    The finial on the topof an indoor and sometimes an outdoor flag pole with the US flag on is usually an eagle.

'The gold tassel on the flag proclaims that admiralty law is in effect'- TRIPE! - the gold fringe is nothing more than a decoration - as said above.

The rest of this post is an abolute heap of crap that isnt even worth a responding opinion because is is such a big pile of trash.

You could do to go read some of the other threads in this forum and/or go an do some proper research on the subject if it interests you. Good luck. You have a alot of learning to do!

16. Peter Ansoff

i must say that nearly all what you typed there is an absolutle load of TRIPE!

Amanda, you are being much too nice! (-; Isn't it weird how people keep spouting this nonsense?

Peter A.

17. american_flag_uk

american_flag_uk Moderator

lol peter - yeah it is... where the heck DO they get this stuff from???

18. Peter Ansoff

where the heck DO they get this stuff from???

Well . . . believe it or not, there is actually a tiny shred of history behind this "gold fringe" business. Back in the 1920s, there was a sort of informal feud between the US Army and the US Navy about whether it was proper to have gold fringes on US flags. It arose because the Army's national colors normally did have fringes, whereas Navy ensigns did not. A Navy Admiral wrote an article in 1922 that accused the Army wanting a "yellow streak" on the flag. (It was a rather nasty double-entendre, because "yellow streak" is an old slang phrase for cowardice). Ultimately, the President (Harding) requested a legal opinion from the Attorney General on the subject. The opinion was issued in May 1925. The key sentence in the opinon said that " . . . a fringe is not considered to be part of the flag, and it is without heraldic significance. In the common use of the word it is a fringe and not a border." In other words, it's just decoration.

In the late 1980s, a group of libertarian crazies discovered the old 1925 Attorney General's opinion, and twisted it into a wacky legal doctrine saying that court decisions are invalid if there is a fringed flag in the courtroom. They tried to use this "doctrine" to prove that they didn't have to have drivers licenses, pay taxes, etc. The Anti-Defamation League has a on its web site a list of legal citations of court cases where people tried to use the "fringe defense."

As you might guess, judges have not been very sympathetic. The judge in a 1997 case in Missouri said, "Jurisdiction is matter of law, statute and constitution, not a child's game wherein one's power is magnified or diminished by the display of some magic talisman." Even the libertarian crazies seem to have figured out that the "fringe defense" is a bunch of goofy nonsense. However, it still seems to turn up on the internet from time to time.

Peter A.

19. robbaptista

robbaptista New Member

where do you come off with your logic?I dont know how old you are or where you got your sodo education ,The eagle is a symble of hitlers germany .simple enough,except it is first the flag of the roman empire --the catholic church. I was giving my belief on whats going on with our world ,I am not interestd in arguing about about anything only extension of diolog for all of our increased learning .If we think more and speek together in a more politely ,I think we will work out our problem .Im my view it is the U.S,govt. They devide and are conquering us .we need to unite in the law of the Constitution .Then we will stay free to debate .What do we want for our kids ? I want them to be free for life . There are places in the world we would not travel to becaust its not to safe ,and personal respect ,feeling safe ,freadom to create and make things better if they choose.so what I stated on our flag for me are true .This is info. from a mighty professer :David - Wynn: Miller. ( DWNLC.COM ) . He has sued the us govt.over 150 times ,a winner in each case ,at the world court . For braking the constituional law Title 18 sec 1001, or (fictitious conviense of language for the extortion of rights ) against the people of the united states .

20. robbaptista

robbaptista New Member

Robert what you say isinteresting, I ask you to watch the news when bush is at the u.n. look at the flags of the in the back ground they dont have a gold trim , gold tassel ,or eagle on top.that is the flag of our contract with the fed govt. the U.S govt. represents us to the world ,that flag tells the world of our contract for the U.S to be our representative to the world .Take from this what you will.
    e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.