Would my neighbors be offended if I displayed a Braziliand flag along with the US flag?

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Ursula Root, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Ursula Root

Ursula Root New Member

Hello,

My husband and I live in a small town of upstate NY, where there are a lot of veterans and very patriotic families. We will be moving to a house with a very cute front porch where I wanted to fly off both flags, since my husband is American and I am Brazilian. My intentions are simply to show our love for both countries, but I don't want to offend anybody, specially in an area where people are so conservative.

I would like to get your inputs on this, since I understand a lot of people in this forum are very patriotic. Would you be offended to see an American and Brazilian flag side by side? I do understand it's completely legal to do so and we are entitled to our rights of free speech and expression but, yet again, I worry about my new neighbors getting offended.

Thank you in advance,
    Ursula

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Ursula -- welcome to the forum!

I fly foreign national flags at my house every day to recognize their national holidays and such, so I certainly would not be offended. It's hard to imagine why anyone would object to your flying the US and Brazilian flags, but the sad fact is that you never know -- there are a lot of strange people out there. My inclination would be to go ahead, and see what happens. If your experience is like, mine, you'll get the question "what flag is that?" from time to time. It's surprising how many people are not familiar with most foreign flags, even ones that are as distinctive as Brazil's.

Keep us posted. If you do decide to display the flags, please post a photo here in the forum!

3. Ursula Root

Ursula Root New Member

Peter,

Thank you for welcoming me and for your input! I'll do as you suggested and go ahead with our plan and see what happens.
    I'll definitely update this thread with pictures and neighbors' reactions (if I get any) when we move :)

Regards,
    Ursula