WW2 display 48 star flag Annin

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by augidog, Aug 24, 2014.

1. augidog

augidog New Member

Hi ,
    Thanks for the forum.
    Just purchased what is hoped a nice WW2 period flag for display behind my office manikin. ( watches my back ) my Dad served, its a tribute.
    This flag went up last night on evil bay at 10 pm in box . Jumped on it .
    From your knowledge base it looks to be that period.
    hoping stamped instead of a tag
    will post some pictures as it arrives.
    $6.90 was the original price on box.
    Paid more than that :)

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Interesting that the box shows a 50-star flag.

3. augidog

augidog New Member

Wow - nice catch !. Hoping the flag is okay . Maybe they purchased the 50 and put the 48 away . Still a little misleading

4. augidog

augidog New Member

Flag came today, Its single cloth all dyed with some yellowing- Little dirty - No name - looks vintage though- sure smells that way. No rips or holes
    Wonder if its worth keeping - Can return it .
    Not sure if in the 40's more were dyed than stitched. Feels like all cotton. No glow UV .The stitching is crooked. .
    48 star in a 50 star box as NAVA caught
    Just looking for a period piece.
    Probably paid too much at 50.00
    Opinions welcome
    Must admit - Getting hooked on flags

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      57.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, AugiDog, and welcome to the our Flag Forums! :cool:

The reason for a 48-Star Flag being in a 50-Star Flag's box might be pretty simple, in a human nature sort of way. The original owner was probably flying a 48-Star house flag in the late 50's, but didn't bother to update to a *NEW* 49-Star Flag in 1959 when Alaska joined the Union. They probably figured, like most people, to wait until the Territory of Hawai'i was admitted to the Union as our 50th State, which happened in August of 1959. The 50th Star was officially added on July 4th, 1960.

The "main" argument against my theory, is that all of the Flag manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers went nuts advertising and promoting the NEW! NEW! NEW 50-Star Flag!!! And... From what I can see of your Annin box, it doesn't seem to be "shouting" about the NEW! 50-Star Flag!

Since your Flag seems to be a fairly simple, one-piece, printed/dyed cotton Flag, it was probably originally sold as part of a house Flag set/kit that consisted of the Flag, a short pole (5 feet, or so, 2 or 3 piece), a flagpole bracket, and maybe some thick twine to act as the "halyard".

There are other members here who are MUCH better educated, informed, and experienced than I am when it comes to the construction and materials of American Flags (and their histories) than I am. Who knows? Perhaps they will offer their opinions on your Flag...

Was $50.00 too much to pay for your Flag? Yes, I think it was... Well... At least for ME, it would have been too much. But don't think of it as a potential "loss". Instead, think of it as an educational investment in the beginnings of your new found hobby : FLAGS !!!

"Flaggily Yours", :cool:

Robin Hickman
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

6. augidog

augidog New Member

Thanks for the info Robin,
    E bay has a return on this , so its okay
    A good flag seems harder to find than originally thought------
    Dating a WW2 flag--- a new challenge
    Thanks for the confidence boost.
    Lesson learned- Never jump into a hobby on eBay armed with only a little knowledge.
    Billy