Yacht ensign

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by ecpotts, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ecpotts

ecpotts New Member

I owned a sportfisherman which was lost in Hurricane Katrina, but I salvaged the yacht ensign that I would like to display from my home. Is this allowable, or is it disrespectful of the flag?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I owned a sportfisherman which was lost in Hurricane Katrina, but I salvaged the yacht ensign that I would like to display from my home. Is this allowable, or is it disrespectful of the flag?

Well, it depends. If the flag is in bad shape (torn, frayed or stained), then it might be better to display it inside on the wall (or even in a frame) instead of flying it. If it looks good, there's no reason not to fly it. There is no magical definition of "disrespectful" -- it's mostly in the eye of the beholder.

Peter Ansoff

3. ecpotts

ecpotts New Member

Thanks, I think I'll do both and get a new flag(yacht ensign again--I think it looks nice) for the staff and mount it just as was on the boat, but on a column. I'm trying to make the house a little nautical since I no longer have the boat and does not look like it will get replaced anytime soon.