I work for a large big box home improvement chain. I noticed for the first time today (been there 2 years) that there is an American flag silkscreened on the ...
    Jeroldc is offline Junior Member

Default US Flag as part of a commercial uniform

I work for a large big box home improvement chain. I noticed for the first time today (been there 2 years) that there is an American flag silkscreened on the back of our vests. I thought that this was against the flag code of etiquette. Can someone let me know what specific part of the code this violates if it does. I love my country, but this seems inappropriate to me.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: US Flag as part of a commercial uniform

Hi, Jeroldc -- Welcome aboard!

there is an American flag silkscreened on the back of our vests. . . . Can someone let me know what specific part of the code this violates if it does.

First of all, here's what the flag code actually says about this:

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. . .No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."

The bottom line is that you shouldn't cut up an actual flag and use it as clothing, but it's fine to have a representation of the flag on uniforms and such. In addition to the military, flag patches and images are commonly worn by members of scouting organizations, sports teams, etc.

In your case, however, there's another consideration. The flag code (and common sense) also make clear that the flag should not be "fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way," and also that it should not be " on . . . anything that is designed for temporary use and discard." If your vests tend to get soiled and dirty, it's probably not a good idea to have a flag on them.

Remember, the whole idea behind the flag code is just that the flag is a symbol of our country, should not be used in a manner that would seem disrespectful to the average person. In your case, it's kind of judgement call.

I hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum!

Peter Ansoff