Fall quarter will be the first time we will be displaying and processing flags in our commencement ceremony at our university. We plan on displaying 38 flags that will be ...
    mcconnr@comcast.net is offline Junior Member

Default US Flag Display & Procession w/Country & Native American Flags

Fall quarter will be the first time we will be displaying and processing flags in our commencement ceremony at our university. We plan on displaying 38 flags that will be mounted and hung at an angle from the balcony above the gym floor. We plan on displaying the country flags in alphabetical order from left to right (if you are looking at them from the stage) followed by the Native American flags in alphabetical order. Is this correct?

We plan on processing in the US flag, 4 country flags (countries of students graduating this quarter) and 2 Native American flags from our own state. Is it proper protocol to walk in the following order: US flag, Italy, Japan, Taiwan, Zimbabwe, and the 2 Native American flags in alphabetical order? After the national anthem, the flags will be processed out of the gym to the lobby where they will be displayed in stands all on 8' poles. If you were facing them in the lobby it would look like this: US-Italy-Japan-Taiwan-Zimbabwe-Tribal Flag-Tribal Flag.
    Is this correct or should the Native American flags follow the US flag followed by the country flags?

For future reference, should the country flag of Taiwan by alphabetized by "T" or "R" for the Republic of China?

Thanks for your help.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: US Flag Display & Procession w/Country & Native American Flags

Hello, welcocme to the forum!

The order you're using sounds fine. I don't know offhand if there are any formal protocols for combining national flags with Native American flags, but the order that you are using makes sense.

When Taiwan held China's seat in the UN (before 1971), it was officially under "C" in alphabetical order. This is true of most nations whose formal names start with "Republic of" or something similar. (An exception is the United Republic of Tanzania, which prefers to be listed under "U".) Nowdays, "Taiwan" seems to be the preferred popular name for the ROC, even on official ROC web sites, to avoid the embarrassment of confusion with the PRC. Technically, Taiwan should probably still be under "C", but if it were up to me I think I'd put it under "T."

Peter Ansoff

cbetham is offline Junior Member

Hi, new here and great reasource but I have a question.

My boy scout troop will be presenting the colors before a MLB ballgame. So I can get the most boys involved and because we are playing a Canadian team, want to use: US, Canadian, State, Troop, BSA Council, Armed Forces, possibly Vatican Flag as we are a Catholic troop. The boys will march out onto field. Should they stay in formation - 4 or 5 across and then however many back or come out in straight line and form arc? This will be a learning exercise and advancement work for the boys and want to do absolutely correct. Game is June 18, 09. Your help will be grately appreciated. Thanks

Hi, cbetham. Glad to have you with us!

want to use: US, Canadian, State, Troop, BSA Council, Armed Forces, possibly Vatican Flag as we are a Catholic troop. The boys will march out onto field. Should they stay in formation - 4 or 5 across and then however many back or come out in straight line and form arc?

I don't know of any set guideline about what sort of formation to use -- it depends on the configuration of the stadium and whatever else is going on. However, there are some conventions about the precedence of the flags. The US flag comes first, then other national flags, state flags, and military flags. The national and state flags go in alphabetical order, and the military flags are Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard in that order.

The two Boy Scout flags are not addressed in the "flag code" or in military regs. Unless the BSA has its own rules, I think I'd put them after the military flags, with the Council flag before the troop flag because it represents a higher-level organization. The Vatican flag is a special case, because it represents a nation as well as a religion. In your case, it should go third in order, after the US and Canada. Using my assmptions, the full order is then: US, Canada, Vatican, State, Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, BSA Council, BSA Troop.

In general, precedence goes from right to left and from front to back. For example, if the color bearers are in two lines the first 6 flags go from right to left in the first row, and the other 5 from right to left in the second row. "Right" here means the right side when facing in the direction of march.

Again, the above are conventions, mostly based on military regulations. Non-military organzations like the BSA don't have to follow military regs, but they are handy guidelines.

I hope this helps -- if not, let us know! Again, welcome to the forum.

Peter Ansoff

Alphonse is offline Junior Member

In the order of a multiple country flag presentation with Native American flags included, I believe since the reservations are considered nations, they should fall in the same alphbetical order as the other nations after the US flag.

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Hi, Alphonse !

I responded to your "New Member Introduction" thread over HERE : http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/us-and-native-american-flag-display-5964.html#post16445

Although I am NOT sure, I believe that the Flags of the sovereign Tribal Nations would actually PRECEED those of other nations. I'm sure somebody has written down something about it somewhere!

Unfortunately, I don't know "Who", "What", or "Where".

I think the person here that you might want to talk to about this is either Peter Ansoff or NAVA1974. They know their "stuff" and they're willing to share. If you want to ask either of them a question you may do so by clicking on their name wherever it is UNDERLINED as a link, and send them a "Private Message".

Good Luck !

Robin Hickman
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

pathfind3r is offline Junior Member

I think the flag of the United States of America, when it is displayed with another flag against a wall from crossed staffs, should be on the right, the flag's own right [that means the viewer's left --Webmaster], and its staff should be in front of the staff of the other flag.

fast1 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pathfind3r View Post
    I think the flag of the United States of America, when it is displayed with another flag against a wall from crossed staffs, should be on the right, the flag's own right [that means the viewer's left --Webmaster], and its staff should be in front of the staff of the other flag.
    ya, this is what i thought so too

In the order of a multiple country flag presentation with Native American flags included, I believe since the reservations are considered nations, they should fall in the same alphbetical order as the other nations after the US flag.

The flag code and military regulations do not address the precedence of Native American flags, and I don't know of any other protocol rules on the subject. However, my thought would be that the Native American flags would come after national flags. The native American nations are sovereign with respect to some aspects of legal jurisdiction, for example, but from an international perspective they are subordinate to the US Government. They are not international actors like, say, France or Japan -- they do not have diplomatic representation in other nations, do not have their own armed forces, etc. Absent any other rule, I'd put Native American flags in alphabetical order following national flags.

That's correct. This statement is a direct quote from the flag code (except for the "Webmaster" part!).

Peter Ansoff

WayGroovy is offline Junior Member

Greetings,

We are looking at adding three flags as a permanent fixture at our business: The U.S. Flag, the Cherokee Nation Flag, and the Oklahoma State Flag.

We are trying to determine the correct order and height of our flagpoles. I've reviewed the flag code multiple times, and am having difficulty with deciding the order.

Any suggestions, with references if possible?

Thank you,
    -WG