Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hi, I would like to find out the proper etiquette for displaying a US flag vertically next to the front door of a house. The flag that I have has ...
    Daniel Brustein is offline Junior Member

Default Vertical display of the American flag

Hi,

I would like to find out the proper etiquette for displaying a US flag vertically next to the front door of a house. The flag that I have has two attachment holes in the corners along the short side. My question is whether the union should be on the right (i.e. this would look like a horizontally-displayed flag rotated 90' clock-wise) or on the left (mimicking its upper-left corner positioning in the horizontal display)

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks,

Daniel

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: Vertical display of the American flag

Greetings, Daniel -- welcome!

Here's what the flag code says about this:

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left.

In other words, the union goes on the flag's right (viewer's left), regardless of whether the flag is horizontal or vertical. This comes from the old practice of heraldry. The position of honor on a knight's shield was the right or "dexter" side.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

Daniel Brustein is offline Junior Member

Dear Peter,

Thank you ever so much

Best regards,

Daniel.

sarrah terry is offline Junior Member

Hope someone can help with my question: Is outdoor hardware available for vertical display? This area is prone to frequent and damaging Santa Ana winds that can bend a standard height flag pole, or slender poles affixed to structures. My solution was to properly and vertically display my 3x5 flag on my front gate. Thanks -

Sarrah Terry

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Sarrah -- welcome to the forum!

Hope someone can help with my question: Is outdoor hardware available for vertical display? My solution was to properly and vertically display my 3x5 flag on my front gate.

You really don't need any special hardware to display the flag that way -- well-spaced nails or hooks are really all you need. If you want to get fancy, flag shops and some hardware stores sell snap-clips that you could attach to the gate.

This area is prone to frequent and damaging Santa Ana winds that can bend a standard height flag pole, or slender poles affixed to structures.

I'm not sure what type of flagpole you had in mind, but if they're good quality and properly installed they're pretty strong. I have three 15-foot poles in front of my house, set in PVC pipe that's buried two or three feet in the ground, and I believe that they're rated to withstand winds up to 100 MPH. What's interesting is that they are also removable -- they can be lifted out of the PVC fairly easily.

Best,

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Christine J is offline Junior Member

New to the forum so probably not doing this correctly, but I have a question none the less. I was recently in a parade representing a chapter of DAV. A conflict came up as to the carrying of the flag with out the eagle at the top of the staff. Is the eagle a requirement when the flag is being carried in a parade?

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine J View Post
    Is the eagle a requirement when the flag is being carried in a parade?
    Welcome to the USA Flag Forum, Christine. To answer your question, the United States Flag Code (Title 4 USC) is silent on the matter of ornaments on the flagstaff.

State law, however, may refer to the use of eagles or other ornaments on the USA flag, as at least two of them do for the state flag. For example, Maryland law requires the use of the cross bottony, and Kentucky law calls for a Cardinal (the bird, not the Bishop).

Nick

Speaking of vertical display, here is my home on the eve of July 4 (the flag is illuminated by the light from a lamp post near our front door.)

4July2010b.jpg

Happy Independence Day,

Nick

MilVet is offline Junior Member

Our rec center has the flag suspended vertically from the open ceiling beams above the indoor pool positioned so you can see the flag if you are looking "down" the lap lanes. There is no main entrance to this area since it is an inner area within the rec center building. The union is currently towards the south which I believe is incorrect. I believe it should be reversed, union towards the north or hung so the union is facing the east. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by MilVet View Post
    Our rec center has the flag suspended vertically from the open ceiling beams above the indoor pool positioned so you can see the flag if you are looking "down" the lap lanes. There is no main entrance to this area since it is an inner area within the rec center building. The union is currently towards the south which I believe is incorrect. I believe it should be reversed, union towards the north or hung so the union is facing the east. Any advice?
    Section 7o of the Flag Code reads, "When the flag is suspended across a corridor or lobby in a building with only one main entrance, it should be suspended vertically with the union of the flag to the observer's left upon entering. If the building has more than one main entrance, the flag should be suspended vertically near the center of the corridor or lobby with the union to the north, when entrances are to the east and west or to the east when entrances are to the north and south."

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast