Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What are the rules governing burying an appropriately cased US flag with the ashes of a WW II Veteran?...
    BLACKDOGSPORTS Guest

Default Veteran Burial

What are the rules governing burying an appropriately cased US flag with the ashes of a WW II Veteran?

Just George is offline Junior Member

Hello BD. They are usually very fast to respond to questions. Must be on vacation.

I don't know the US Flag Code rules on your question, but I have an opinion. Have a get together with friends and familey. Have a photo of the vet along side his ashes. Burn the flag and mix the ashes together. What a way to go!
    I think it so very nice of you to consider placing a flag with him. He fought to keep this country free, as I did. To have his flag with him is the highest honor I can think of.

sarahw Guest

Hi, George,

Thanks for filling in for me! I've been having some repetitive motion issues and had to take a day or so off.

From what I can tell, the flag code doesn't actually address this, but a flag should, of course, never touch the ground and shouldn't be buried if it isn't in a container of some sort.

Burying is an acceptable method of retiring flags as long as they are in a container that will not expose them to the open air and are buried so that they won't ever again be above ground. So I would thing that burying a flag in a case along with the ashes would be fine.

George's idea is very nice, too. It could make a very moving ceremony to burn the flag and combine the ashes with those of the veteran. As long as no one in the family objects to that, I don't see why it couldn't be done that way.

Thanks for asking!

Sarah

fireballpilot is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Veteran Burial

Sarah, I don't know where you got your information on Burial of a U
    S Flag the US Flag is very plain in that it states that the flag is not to be buried and not to touch the ground. As far a Burning it and mixing the ashes, To me that would be in a gray area, It is recommended that once a flag is deemed unserviceable It should be destroyed by fire in a dignfied manner. As a Veteran and one that does Military Honors at Veterans on a weekly basies ,I would do neather. The Flag is present to the Next of Kin to remind always the the departed gave service to his country under that flag. I know that the way I would want mine done.

My opinion on this one

Regarding burning the flag - The IS a part of the code that says, if the flag is long longer fit for service/ use, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferrably by burning. , but in this case, you would be burning a flag that has nothing wrong with it, and it is fit for use, whether by flying it or keeping it in the box inside the house- so it would be against the flag code, and I dont think it is necessary to burn the flag like that

Regarding burying it...
    Again, why would you want to bury it?? it is a gift to the veteran for his service, and a momento for his family to keep. Why on earth would you want to put it beneath the ground and not proudly displayed inside your home, with any medals or honors he got?

fireballpilot is offline Junior Member

I was just commenting on a old post, I am aware of the US;Flag code . as I stated I thought it's in vilotation of both the flag code and the cermonies for a Veteran that has served under that flag. Also onece the Flag has been Folded from a Military funeral It is not ever to be used for ANYTHING ever again other than display in honor of the service the man/woman gave to our country. As I said I am a retired Army Officer and I do Military Burial ceramonies ever week for hallen brothers and sisters in arms. Still Serving Fireball Two Zero

Rauanheimo is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Veteran Burial Flag

Once presented to the next of kin, I know of no prohibition on the use of the flag. Many cemeteries accept them as donations for their "Avenue of Flags" which is flown at appropriate times.
    I too am doing Military Funeral Honors and have researched this before.
    By the way, my statement at presentation is, in part, "Let this flag be a living symbol of the honorable and faithful service of (your loved one)."
    If I had a burial flag, I would fly it on holidays or events when I wanted to again honor the deceased.

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

I am strongly in favor of flying the flag in honor of the serviceman/woman - let the flag remind all of the sacrifices of that individual and all who have served in the armed forces. Sort of like the biblical statemen "nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."

Linda Lou is offline Junior Member

great thoughts here. I was told that you are not to open a folded flag from a military funeral. I thought that was a bit strange, and I would fly the flag of the loved one in his memory

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

"I was told that you are not to open a folded flag from a military funeral."

It is truly amazing what myths and legends have evolved regarding our flag.
    Hmmm, that sounds like an interesting thread. Here are a few that come to mind:

1. You must burn The Flag if it touches the ground.
    2. There is a razor, a bullet, and a match in the ball at the top of a flagpole.
    3. You must cut the stars from the stripes before disposing of The Flag.
    4. The fringe around the flag means we are under Martial Law.
    5. Betsy Ross designed the First American Flag.
    6. The Customs flag with its vertical stripes is a Civilian Flag so all flags with horizontal stripes are military.

Anyone else with American Flag legends, fables, or just pain bunk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast