Is it ok to wash a dirty flag... Originally Posted by michael.setterlund Is it ok to wash a dirty flag ??...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Wash a Dirty Flag?

Is it ok to wash a dirty flag...
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.setterlund
    Is it ok to wash a dirty flag ??

oldglory1222 Guest

Default Washing a Flag

Great question Michael! There is nothing in the Flag Code that says you can not wash the flag. It is possible to clean the flag while maintaining respect for it. Here are some suggestions:
    1. If the flag only has a spot or two, you can try cleaning it by hand.
    2. If the entire flag is fairly soiled I would place it in the gentle cycle of the washer by itself (you might want to check the manufacturers instructions first).
    3. If you can not get the flag clean and you feel that it is no longer fit for display than it should be destroyed.

summie Guest

Default It is not OK to wash a dirty flag...

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is a very good question. I'm sure a lot of people usually wonder about that and mist would actually think that it is OK to wash a dirty flag. Well, the flag should never touch anything beneath it according to the rules. This means that the flag should not touch anything like water, the ground or any other merchandise. While it seems like a noble thing to do to wash a dirty flag, it's not something to be done. The rule about respect for the flag is as follows:

'No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.'

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

roserighter Guest

Default Ways to Wash the US Flag

Michael,
    Cleaning the US flag is definitly tricky business. The US flag should be stored properly to avoid dirt and damage, but inevitably these things happen.

For newer flags, simply wash by hand in mild soap to avoid damage while cleaning it. Be sure the flag is thoroughly dried before rehanging it.

For older flags, however, it is a good dea to use a vaccuum cleaner attachment covered in cheesecloth. Gently blot the flag to avoid causing rips or tears in the material.

If the flag is beyond repair, contact your local American Legion Hall. They can help by disposing of the flag properly in a flag-burning ceremony.

Corrine Guest

Yes, the fact that you are even asking the question shows how much you care about the American flag. You are not trying to desecrate it by your actions, instead you are trying to present your flag in the best possible light i. e. clean. We only take care of the things we care about. The only other option would be to throw away or destroy your existing flag, and buy another one. Washing it seems like the more practical and sound response to me.

ajgshguy Guest

Default Washing a Flag

Interestingly, while it is common belief that if a flag lands on the ground or is soiled in some fashion that it must be destroyed, however, this is actually not the case. According to the United States law on the flag, the flag should only be destroyed if it can no longer act as a proper symbol for our country anymore. If the United States flag would become dirty, it is proper etiquette to clean the flag by hand with mild soap and water and let dry before re-hoisting.

BOBFREY250 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Wash a Dirty Flag?

You all have a right to your opinions, but I fly a flag 24/7/365. I pay for illumination, I buy a dozen flags at a time from AMVETS. Insstructions from the manufacturer state: "Keep your flag clean. May be laundered in cold water, mikd detergent, no need to dry, it's a flag, remeber?"

Flags are worn out by the microscopic grains of dirt. They become imbeded in the fabric and act as abrasive forces, cutting away at the fibres, (natural or synthetic) and cause fibres to fray, stitches to unravel and the "fly end" to just get beat to living daylights. When do you wash them? When they are visibly dirty? NO! Wash them once a month, they will last longer. As I said, I fly my flag 24/7/365, so if you display yours less frequently, obviously,,,,,launder less frequently. My nearby AMVETS post had a flag burning ceremony last summer, I had to retire 12 flags. Ordered 12 new ones that day. Only had 6 left on hand. Call me patriotic? Go ahead,,,make my day!
    bobfrey250