Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
I'm asking everyone who reads this and for everyone to spread the word.... AMERICA IS UNDER DISTRESS, FLY THE FLAG EVERYWHERE UPSIDE DOWN! We are at risk for loosing more ...
    cindykohl is offline Junior Member

Default We Are Under Distress

I'm asking everyone who reads this and for everyone to spread the word....
    AMERICA IS UNDER DISTRESS, FLY THE FLAG EVERYWHERE UPSIDE DOWN!

We are at risk for loosing more of our liberty and American lives could be lost
    if the current administration succeeds in passing of the legislation it is working on. Our elderly are at risk for being not cared for and pushed aside. Our liberty is at risk as we are being forced into unwanted taxes to pay for those who don't contribute! NOW is the time to start speaking up!

DISSENT is not racism, it is American. Don't let all those who have given their lives have died in vein as we sit by and watch these things happen to our great country!

May God have mercy on us.

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Default Re: We Are Under Distress

Dear cindykohl,
    You have correctly noted that flying the flag of the United States upside down has become a symbol of protest. And while you are free to express your opinion on this forum, as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and supported by our men and women in uniform serving under our flag, members' remarks should not advocate political action. Keep in mind that this is an educational forum.

Besides, many Americans believe that God had mercy on us by delivering us from George Bush.

Gold Star Mom is offline Junior Member

I was curious about the "upside down" flag. There is a group that does their own little protest in my town. I felt like they were disrespecting our troops. I am a Gold Star Mom so, before I gave them my "thoughts" I wanted to make sure what I was talking about. SO, is this OK or not??? Thank you!

Dear Gold Star Mom,

I believe that protesters who fly the US Flag upside down are intentionlally showing disrespect to the flag and to the nation, so it is not "OK" - is it most definately improper behavior and in bad taste, and it violates the United States Flag Code which specifies that the flag is only to be flown upside down as a sign of distress (ie your ship is sinking, not that your tax dollars happen to fund government expenditures that you do not agree with.)

The United States Supreme Court, however, has decided that it is within the protester's Constitutional right to do pretty much what they please with the flag, including flying it upside down or burning it (or making it part of an "art" exhibit where viewers must step on the flag to register their opinions of the exhibit. )

Nick

PRGringo is offline Senior Member

While it is not on par with shouting "FIRE" in a theater, I think it is a silly way to protest. The act itself is an affront to those of us who respect he country but it is one of the basic rights that every American has to express their opinion.

Those who serve in our armed forces understand the true meaning of serving our country. Those who fly the flag upside down can only mean to disrespect America. They do it because they can and they know that they can do it because the writers of the constitution wanted all people to be allowed to voice their opinion. Unfortunately, the writers never believed that people would be disrespectful of the republic they were creating. Dissenting...yes. Disrespectful...no. Being disrespectful of America serves no one in a positive way.

DoorGunner26808 is offline Junior Member

As a former member of the the Armed Forces, (1995-2005) I do understand what it means to serve my country. I have shed blood sweat and tears in defense of what my country stands for. I know of friends and comrades that have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of what my country stands for. As it stands, I am back in Iraq as a civilian now, doing whatever I can to keep our Service Members (my brothers and sisters in arms) in the fight. To fly the flag upside down is not a sign of disrespect. It is a signal for distress. Most of the "protesters" you see flying the flag upside down believe, just as I do, that our country is in distress. I do not feel that they are flying it upside down to disrespect anyone, but to get America's attention. To burn it in protest is disrespectful. My suggestion to anyone is to do some research before you pass judgement any person or group. The United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Statute 176, paragraph a states that "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property." While this can be on par with "shouting Fire in a theater", I believe that our country on it's present course is causing danger to both our way of life, and our property. Take a step back, open your eyes, and look around you at what is going on. And while you're at it, get into the history books, as history tends to repeat itself...

It is not disrespect, it is a message.
    Last edited by DoorGunner26808; 03-24-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: rehashed

Gold Star Mom is offline Junior Member

This message is for DoorGunner26808. Thank you for your input. I do keep my eyes & heart open. It's just that when I first saw our flag flown upside down...well, I got really angry. So, I came to the Flag Forum to get "educated" on this matter. I did get to "hear" the protestors "side"...although brief. I still feel strongly about flying our flag in the proper position. Thanks again for your opinion and thank you for your service as well.

picomanning is offline Junior Member

I'm 58. A Viet Nam era vet. My grandfather fought in Europe WWl. My father was a marine in the South Pacific, 1st Marine Division, WWll. I'm motivated by my Christian faith. I read history. I understand the intentions of the founding fathers. I understand sound economic theories. I also understand that America is in very big trouble. It seems appropriate that Americans who love this country who feel that we are in grave danger fly the flag upside down. We must acknowledge that our nation is seriously sick! We are in distress! I will fly my flag upside down and will be happy to ask my neighbors to do the same.

Greengo is offline Member

Why do people always want to desrespect the flag of our country? You would think that a vet would know better. You say we are in destress: Do you "not" walk down the street in freedom? Do you "not" have the right to vote for whoever you want? So do it!!! Just a few freedoms we have because we are Americans and have fought for the right to "FLY THAT FLAG WITH PRIDE". Don't show desrespect to the flag that millions have died for. Another freedom, you also have the right to desrespect the flag. That doesn't mean you have to. Think about it........

Quote Originally Posted by Greengo View Post
    Another freedom, you also have the right to desrespect the flag. That doesn't mean you have to.
    HEAR, HEAR!

I often point out that millions of Americans have fought, and many died, to procure and protect our freedoms. While that freedom allows us to disrespect our flag, as Americans we have a greater responsibility to honor it.

Nick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast