Is is noted that as a boy scout i wish the leaders of scouting would... Originally Posted by HZiegler Is is noted that as a Boy Scout I wish the ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Wearing of the american flag on a shirt sleeve

Is is noted that as a boy scout i wish the leaders of scouting would...
    Quote Originally Posted by HZiegler
    Is is noted that as a Boy Scout I wish the leaders of Scouting would
    change the union on their shirts. The union is to be facing forward on
    the left sleeve. The scouts issue their shirts with the union reversed.
    This wearing of the flag backwards is also very prominent in Hollywood
    pictures.
    Also a question. Do you march in a parade with an American Flag
    that has a fringe on it ?
    My name is Harry Ziegler, Retired Marine

Lyricb Guest

Hi Harry! First of all, thanks for your service to our country. Marines hold a special place in my heart, and I admire anyone who can make it through that basic training! My AF basic training was six weeks...before you fall off your chair laughing, here is my answer to your question about the fringed American flag.

It is my understanding that American flags with fringe are exclusively for decorative display, such as in an office or somewhere similar to that. When marching in a parade, the flag should not have any sort of fringe or other flare added to it.

I hope that helps.
    LyricB

Janing Guest

Just a side note - there's a reason the flag is "backward" on the left sleeve, and in my opinion it should not be changed. The flag symbolizes movement. If you imagine holding a flag on a pole and rushing toward the enemy, the blue is closest to you, pointing to the front, and the stripes are behind. This is the reason military (and boy scout) uniforms display the flag backwards - the US does not retreat.

Janine

gerlach852 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Wearing of the american flag on a shirt sleeve

Being an American Legion Member we wear the left shoulder flag on our dress blues and on our shirts. We feel as former service member of all branches of service, that it is our way to show our pride in our country.

rwood1690 is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for the information - We are changing our uniform shirts and adding the flag on the sleeve. I did not want to disrespect the flag and I have found all the information helpful

Dopey is offline Junior Member

I work at the Post Office, and am one of the few mailhandlers who uses my clothing allowance for actual uniform shirts (since mailhandlers are not directly in contact w/ the public, uniforms are not required). I like to wear sleeve flags on my work shirts and jackets (my insulated vest has a small flag over the heart). I've had discussions w/ fellow workers who had spent time in the military, and they informed me the flag was properly displayed on the right arm. But this contradicted my understanding that the blue field of the flag should be toward the front of anything which is in motion (go to the airport; any plane moving from left to right will have a "backwards" flag on it). I solved my problem by using "backwards" patches; i.e. flags which have the blue field on the right side. This way I can wear my flags so that they are on the "right" arm, and are facing the correct way.
    Sincerely,
    Dopey

andy1033 is offline Junior Member

I belong to a sports officiating group, we are wearring the american flag on the back of the shirt. I think it should be on the sleeve or on the front above the pocket. Is there a reference for this.e

ecopell1@charter.net is offline Junior Member

thread, this is aquestion not a reply...i am a member of a motorcycle org

with a military background. We display an american flag on the top left (above the heart) of our vests. the problem is that some of our members
    are returning Iraq veterans. over there the army wore their flag on the
    right shoulder. after returning the removed their "combat" flag and then
    affixed it to the same position as the rest of us. in doing this they display
    their patch "backward" is this proper?

thank you

EVERETT COPELL

p.s. I'm a three time VIETNAM VETERAN
    11 BRAVO COMBAT INFANTRY