Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Originally Posted by jon I had a quick question. What is allowed on the top of a flag pole? I have seen eagles, points and trucks, but is there anything ...
    matt is offline Junior Member

Default Re: What can go on top of the flag pole?

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    I had a quick question. What is allowed on the top of a flag pole? I have seen eagles, points and trucks, but is there anything else. The only reason I ask is because they just placed a flagpole where I work and there is our symbol on top. It made me wonder, please help...

In Response: Am I the ONLY PERSON...whom was taught in the USMC that the "EAGLE" is ONLY to be atop the Flag Staff during time of war??? And the "BALL" in "PEACETIME"..?????
    I am trying to find this obviously "unwritten" rule in the Flag Code of Ettiquette at no avail......???????

Has nobody Else out there ever heard that :.... The "EAGLE" is ONLY and SHOULD be flown atop the Flag during time of "WAR".... The "BALL" is only during "PEACETIME"......This is what I installed into my brainwashed head in my time with the outstanding "U.S.M.C. However I cannot find this rule anywhere...can someone guide me to where it might be written?????
    Thxn. Matt

Has nobody out there EVER..... learned that, the "EAGLE" is supposed be flown atop the Falg ONLY during time of "WAR".??
    The Ball lineal,...is for "PEACETIME".... How come I cannot find anyone else whom has ever learned or heard of this before,....I am not that old,....only 52, BUT this was insatalled into my mind and U.S.M.C.way of thinking back in the 70's,.....I still believe this is correct! ???????

Cimerron is offline Junior Member

Good morning Matt;
    Your point is well taken and what the Marine Corp teaches makes sense. The Eagle during war time and the ball in peace time. The Eagle is our national symbol but who chose the ball as the symbol for peace? I always thought that symbol was the Dove. So if we have an Eagle up there during war how about a Dove for peace time?
    The point is that these ideas are not written anywhere that I have found just like the thirteen reasons for the thirteen folds on the American flag. Those thirteen reasons have emerged since the Viet Nam war and although they are not official I see no reason why they shouldn't be honored if you choose to do so. It's the flag that counts not the thingy at the top of the pole.
    Meantime the symbol that appears at the top of YOUR flag pole is really up to you. Personally I like the fierce looking Eagle up there. Kinda looks to me like it's protecting me all the time and if you try to threaten my way of life the Eagle gonna get ya. I'm gonna get ya too. Pete

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Has nobody Else out there ever heard that :.... The "EAGLE" ... SHOULD [only] be flown atop the Flag during time of "WAR".... However I cannot find this rule anywhere...can someone guide me to where it might be written?????
    I have been a student of the American flag for 40 years and I have never heard of this requirement. Unless it has been codified by the USMC (or the USN regs)it may be an urban legend, much like the one that says the Eagle on the President's seal and flag looks towards the arrows during wartime and towards the olive branch in peace. THAT one is totally bogus.

Nick

That's interesting NAVA1974. So I guess we can agree that there is not any prescribed ornament that is or isn't proper at the top of a flagpole. If the USMC wants to teach the Eagle and Ball idea then that's fine. I don't recall that the National Guard (you know,the guys the Marines call in when they get in trouble?) had any recommendation either way.
    I sell one pole that has a great looking Eagle on the top and I've used one of these poles as an outside display for two years now and the flag,3x5,4x6,and 5x8 sized has never gotten caught on the ornament.
    All the rest of the poles that I sell come with the ball, either gold or silver, at the top. Now that I think about it most of the poles I've seen around here have the ball on top but that's probably a result of the cost of the Eagle more than anything else.
    The Eagle on my twenty foot pole costs $50 and a higher pole would have a bigger Eagle than mine so the cost of the Eagle on say a thirty foot pole could easily add a hundred bucks to the price.
    AS for which way the Eagle looks at any given time,that seems to be folk legend so far. I think right now the Eagle is zeroing in on Congress and believe me I'd hate to be one of those guys in November. The Eagle gonna get ya Mr. congessman.
    DON'T MESS WITH THE EAGLE.

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

I suppose one could always go and look it up, couldn't one ???

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

I guess one could !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

Yes one could. Now if one did go look it up what would one find that pertaines to the ornament at the top of a flag pole? Pete

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

"Balls!", said the Queen. "If I had 'em, I'd be KING!!!"

I go for a walk around my neighborhood almost every morning. Within the different areas that I cover on my walks there are a LOT of flagpoles. Some have finials in the shape of eagles, some have balls, and some of them have no finials at all.

War and Peace, or nothing at all?

So far, if I'm right on top of it, the way I'm reading this thread tells me that Americans are at Peace with themselves and the Republicans are at War with the Americans. But then that would be confusing Politics with Patriotism, and we SURE wouldn't want to do THAT !!! I mean, after all, when it comes to those "flow-thru" Tea-Baggers, you can see right through them !!!

So..... I'll be on my way now.....

Robin "Neither Eagle-ish Nor Ball-ish, But Pole-ish" Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

Good one Robin. However these days a King can be a Queen and vicey vercey. Ha!
    And your right too about what you will see at the top of any pole so is there an answer to the question or not? I just can't find any place where the question is discussed except for here so I'm assuming that what you put at the top of your flag pole is whatever turns you on. Personally I like the Eagle best, war or no war. Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast