Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
I had a quick question. What is allowed on the top of a flag pole? I have seen eagles, points and trucks, but is there anything else. The only reason ...
    jon
    jon is offline Junior Member

Default What can go on top of the flag pole?

I had a quick question. What is allowed on the top of a flag pole? I have seen eagles, points and trucks, but is there anything else. The only reason I ask is because they just placed a flagpole where I work and there is our symbol on top. It made me wonder, please help...

babs is offline Junior Member

Default Re: What can go on top of the flag pole?

I, too, have the same question... Is there protocol as to what is "allowed" on the top of a flag pole? Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!

A spear point would not be improper... many smaller US flags on sticks - and school classroom flags and such like have spear finials.

An improper finial for it would be any religious symbol one such as a cross or 6 pointed star etc

an eagle one is only usually used with a US flag - so it is more of a unique symbol - where as a spear is used for any flag

i would also question a company symbol on top a flagpole which is flying the US flag.... after all.... this could be considered as advertising using the flag... which is against US flag code...
    that finial would belong atop a staff which was flying the company flag...

if flying the company and USA flag on the same pole i would go for a ball finial.. something neutral

Cap11C is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the answer...I specifically joined the forum to ask the same question, as several firefighters in my department are interested in replacing the ball finial atop our outside flag poles with firefighter helmets, probably ones painted gold.

Hey Cap welcome!

Now that is very interesting indeed! - Never heard of that one before.. firefighter hat finials....

Outside a fire station, that would be pretty cool!

The fire service I think would be excempt from my above statement about company symbols not being atop the flagpole that bears the US flag.
    The fire service is non profit and therefore I would not consider it as advertising to have the fire hat as a finial on the pole.

But it would be if for example - Burger King had a burger finial! lol
    (sorry I'm just laughing at how ridiculous that would look !!)

It is a very unique idea and a nice one... you should go for it i say!

countrydoctor is offline Junior Member

The principal at our local school has placed an I on tip of the flag pold (I for Iota hifg school) is this a proper item to be placed on the pole ? Or would that be improper or against the US Codes? "countrydoctor"

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The principal at our local school has placed an I on tip of the flag pold (I for Iota hifg school) is this a proper item to be placed on the pole ? Or would that be improper or against the US Codes?

I assume that we're talking about a pole flying the US flag. As far as I know, there is no rule or regulation that says anything about finials on flagpoles in a civilian context. The military services have regulations on the subject, but they do not apply to non-military situations.

A few of the states have regulations about the finials to be used with their state flags. Maryland, for example, specifies a "buttony cross." However, I think the normal interpretation of this is that it applies when the state flag is flown alone or as the highest flag on the pole. If your school is displaying the state flag under the US flag on the same pole, it's not necessary to follow the state regs.

I hope this answers your question. Again, welcome aboard!

Peter Ansoff

Cimerron is offline Junior Member

I wouldn't want to see anything obscene or rediculous on top of a flagpole but there is the First Ammendment to contend with here and I don't see any reason why a company icon or a school initial couldn't be used in this manner. There isn't any law or rule about this that I have ever read but you would have to use your head and good tast in deciding what to put up there other than the usual eagle or ball ect. You will hear from your neighbors and maybe the town or city if you get too far out of line. Pete

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

The reason that most outdoor flagpoles have a simple sphere at the top is to keep the flag from snagging on any sharp point when (that is "when", not "if") the wind blows the flag up towards the top of the pole. For that reason sharp spear points and eagles with wings upward are a very bad idea. Letters of the alphabet with curves at the top are OK. The fireman's helmet is also OK. The letter "I" in my opinion has enough sharp points or corners to snag or rip the flag and I would advise against it. Perhaps a disc of bronze with the letter "I" cut out of it would work as long as it was a sans-serif letter.

Cimerron is offline Junior Member

The "snag factor" is a very good point. I had never thought of that nor heard of it but it's a fact that the flag will get caught on any sharp edge and probably get torn. Very good point and thanks for posting it. pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast