Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
When is it proper to place your hand over your heart?... Originally Posted by Violettehd When is it proper to place your hand over your heart? When the flag is ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default When to put your hand over your heart...?

When is it proper to place your hand over your heart?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Violettehd
    When is it proper to place your hand over your heart?
    When the flag is approaching?
    When the National Anthem is sung?
    ETC.
    Thanks,
    Violette

usallison Guest

Violette,

Although many people simply stand when the National Anthem is sung, this is poor flag etiquette. You should salute the flag as it passes--this means hand over heart by citizens and formal salute by those in military uniform. The flag show also be saluted when raised or lowered and when the leader of the event salutes.

When the National Anthem is played, citizens should stand and hold their hand over their heart beginning with the first note and holding throughout the song until the very last note. Those not in military uniform should remove their hats. Face and salute the flag unless there is none, in which case you should face and salute in the direction of the music.

Those who are not US citizens should stand at attention in respect, but are not required to salute in any way.

Hope this helps!

~Allison

Lyricb Guest

Hi Violette and Allison,
    I would like to clarify a few things for you. The saluting of the flag should only be done by military members in uniform, and when outdoors. Indoors, military members should stand at attention but not salute...the only time military members usually salute indoors is when reporting to a superior or while standing in formation indoors.
    I know it can be confusing for folks who have no military experience. I'm just glad to see people care enough to ask the question!
    Thanks...LyricB

katiegirl626 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: When to put your hand over your heart...?

What about if you're the one singing the song? Should you still put your right hand over your heart?

No - if your the one singing - or performing it - you do not have to put your hand over your heart

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Hello, KatieGirl626 !

Back in my younger days (WAY younger!) when I was a professional entertainer, I used to occasionally sing the National Anthem ("The Star Spangled Banner") at the start of athletic events, etc.

As I sang the National Anthem, I'd face the Flag, hold the microphone in my left hand, and put my right hand over my heart. I can't tell you if that is the officially "correct" way or not. I can tell you, however, that at the time, it was "correct" for ME.

I mean, it felt "right", and I wasn't really worried about the "Patriot Police" hunting me down and arresting me.

Robin Hickman
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

searlas is offline Junior Member

Putting one's hand over one's heart is a nice but relative new thing. It as "always" been considered respectable to take off one's hat and stand at "attention", but in my over 40 years the only time that place my hand over my heart is during the pledge.

jmesr15 is offline Junior Member

Question Re: Settle an argument

My Grandson's both play High School and College baseball and every time the National Anthem is played, both teams remove their hats and place them behind them, with neither team holding their hat over their heart.

Being I am an Ex-Navy patriot, I feel this is wrong and my Daughter disagrees with me that this is not protocol nor does it show disrespect to the flag or the anthem. I take the opposite view.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Jim

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Hello, jmesr15 !!!

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!!

Maybe THIS will help clear things up for your family members and the teams they play on. NOTE: When the Code mentions "Individuals In Uniform" I believe that it is referring to members of the MILITARY in military uniforms, and possibly public safety personnel (police, fire, EMTs, etc.).

This is a direct Copy/Paste of the United States Code, Title 36, Section 301 "National Anthem" as it appears on the following USHistory.org webpage :

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

United States Code Title 36

301. National anthem
    1. Designation. The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    2. Conduct During Playing During rendition of the national anthem
      1. when the flag is displayed
        1. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
        2. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
        3. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
      2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

I hope that helps. If you'd like to be a little more well-informed regarding the Flag and the etiquette/protocols surrounding it, feel free to use the link provided above to read up and learn more about it.

And of course, if you (or any of your Family Members or Friends) have any additional Flag-related questions come right back here to the USA-Flag-Site forums and ASK !!!

THANK YOU for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

jkgeary is offline Junior Member

"I would like to clarify a few things for you. The saluting of the flag should only be done by military members in uniform, and when outdoors. Indoors, military members should stand at attention but not salute...the only time military members usually salute indoors is when reporting to a superior or while standing in formation indoors.
    I know it can be confusing for folks who have no military experience. I'm just glad to see people care enough to ask the question!"

Just wanted to add an update to this. About three years ago congress passed a bill which allows prior service members, wearing civilian clothes, the option of placing the hand over the heart or a military style salute when the colors pass and during the National Anthem, whether indoors or outdoors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast