Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Why 7 red and 6 white stripes... Originally Posted by lovemygrandkids Good Morning, I thought I read somewhere the reason for 7 red and 6 white stripes. I know that ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Why 7 Red and 6 White Stripes

Why 7 red and 6 white stripes...
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemygrandkids
    Good Morning,

I thought I read somewhere the reason for 7 red and 6 white stripes. I
    know that the total number stands for the 13 original colonies.
    However, my question is why not 6 red and 7 white? I hope you
    understand my question. I remember reading that there was a reason for
    choosing 7 red stripes...not 6; and vice versa. It had something to do
    with symbolism and what the red represented.

Thanks for pondering my question.

Bianca
    Last edited by USAFlags; 06-26-2006 at 02:02 PM.

sarahw Guest

Bianca,

I don't think there really was a reason for seven red stripes and six white stripes. Many people have tried to attach symbolism to the colors that simply wasn't there when the flag was designed.

Some say George Washington remarked that the red represented the mother country and the white was separating the red, a symbol of liberty. The theory, then, is that the white is intersecting the red so that's why red is on the top and bottom.

Other symbolism attached to the flag includes that red is blood or courage and white is purity or innocence. Maybe you need more courage than you need purity when you're building a nation? OK, that was a joke, but I think the number of stripes of each color maybe can't be called a coincidence, there's no historic record of what the designers were thinking.

Sarah

ulv93@verizon.net is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Why 7 Red and 6 White Stripes

I would like to know what each color represents on the flag. Can anyone tell me?

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

I would like to know what each color represents on the flag. Can anyone tell me?

The colors of the US flag came from the colors of the British flag. The resolution that created the flag in 1777 did not say anything about the symbolism of the colors.

When the Great Seal of the United States was adopted in 1782, the explanation of the seal said:

"The colours of the pales are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valor, and Blue, the colour of the Chief signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

However, this was an after-the-fact explanation, because the flag had already existed for 5 years before it was written.

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

ulv93@verizon.net is offline Junior Member

Thank you peter. I also heard that the red stood for the blood lost gaining our freedom. Is that true?

Hi,

I also heard that the red stood for the blood lost gaining our freedom. Is that true?

Again, the colors don't officially stand for anything -- they're the result of our flag's descent from the British flag. Indivdual writers and poets have come up with lots of different ideas of what the colors mean to them, but those are just artistic license. Not all of their ideas are necessarily patriotic, either. A British poet in the early 19th century compared the red and white stripes to the scars on the backs of American slaves who were whipped by their masters.

Thanks for joining -- hope you enjoy the forum!

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."

Captgio is offline Junior Member

Greetings Peter,

Do you know where the stripes originated? Dutch Masters and the church. Go research the 7 pillars. Go read about Flag Author Richardson and his wifes flags that were debunked. 13 Stars and 7 stripes flag, merchants of CT and MA. The great seal and all flag documents where kept in Stratford CT for a time before Washington was built. The stripes are origin to the church going back to Holland and Calvinism! The Stripes are not origin to the Sons of Liberty, 13 Stripes symbolic to States united by the church. 13 white Stars representing states in a blue canton seperated from the Stripes or church control!

Hello, Captgio,

Do you have any evidence for any of this? Stripes on flags have historically been used by many entities.

Peter Ansoff

Captgio is offline Junior Member

Peter,

Read this document attached.
    STRIPES 6 STARS OF REBELLION - TIME
    EVERY American schoolboy knows that Betsy Ross made the first US flag for George Washington and the Continental Congress in 1777. It makes a pretty story, ...
    www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,861583,00.html - Similar

I have studied Towers work and he is dead on! Read about the section Mass colonies and CT colonies, the 4 joined! This is when new England was called the United Colonies and then the United States! The Salem MA minister who made himsef famous for burning witches! He was upset and came to CT, he burned a women in Stratford CT to prove a point of his power and the church among the 4 colonies. Rev Davenport, wrote a document that states all ships of New Haven have to fly the striped flag of red and white in reference to the United Colonies as ordered by the the good Rev. of Salem, MA. This document is very safe and will be brought forth when the time is right.

Please, note this and do not lose this Peter. When you read towers document he states 7 provinces of Holland and the he also states reformation! Who reformed the churchs in England and Holland. What famous minister/Dr. that did this work or is noted for doing this work? When i present some of my work this will be clearer to you in the near future. If you care about American flag history. Research ship paintings that show these flag belonging to CT/MA. Keep this in mind, that the church controlled the Government back then. Learn about the leaders of the 7 pillars of New Haven and Connecticut! 7 Stripes may have been in reference to them or the Colonies they controlled. Resolving this work is by researching the fathers of the church in New England.

Gomac is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captgio View Post
    Please, note this and do not lose this Peter. When you read towers document he states 7 provinces of Holland and the he also states reformation! Who reformed the churchs in England and Holland. What famous minister/Dr. that did this work or is noted for doing this work? When i present some of my work this will be clearer to you in the near future. If you care about American flag history. Research ship paintings that show these flag belonging to CT/MA. Keep this in mind, that the church controlled the Government back then. Learn about the leaders of the 7 pillars of New Haven and Connecticut! 7 Stripes may have been in reference to them or the Colonies they controlled. Resolving this work is by researching the fathers of the church in New England.
    Maybe a conspiracy theory there. If the 7 stripes come from Holland -
    At the same time as the American Revolution the flag of the British East India Company was between 9 and 13 red and white stripes with the union flag (union Jack) as the Canton.

The British East India Company came to prominance after The Glorious Revolution in England (1688) (nor Great Britain since the union between England and Scotland occured in 1707). The Glorious Revolution was bloodless and followed on from the English Civil Wars in the early to mid 1600's when Parliament and King fought for power and led to England being a republic for 12 years. After the death of Oliver Cromwell, the monarchy was re-instated, however the second monarch in, King James 2nd was not for having the nonsense of thought that had emerged in England and he was a strong Catholic to boot, that the monarchy was born to serve and not to be served. Therefore in a few English Parliamentarians went to Holland and asked Holland to invade, which William Duke of Orange gladly responded.

As a result of the invasion of England by Holland, William Duke of Orange became King of England (and Ireland - on a side note it's why there are Orangemen in Northern Ireland today) under the terms of the English Parliament, and that the natural order of things was "God, Parliament and then King". But also as a result the Dutch East India company, which at the time dominated trade to India was wound up in favour of the English East India company. The English East India comapny later became the British East India Company.

therefore the flag could represent Holland, but also the pre-eminant company of the emerging British Empire. But more iterestingly when everything came to the boling point in 1773 and the Boston Tea Party, was the same year that the British Parliament (among stiff opposition) passed an act stating that land aquired by the East India Company would be for the Crown and not for the company.

Is it possible that represention and taxation where not the real reasons for American Independence. But was orchastrated by the shareholders of the East India company and those in Parliament who were either against or apenthetic towards monarch, and were in a sense "getting back" at those who had gone against it and supported the taking of "it's land"? Those same people could have introduced the tea tax, knowing full well that it was going to be met with hostility.

It is true that American Colonists fought in the English Civil war with the aim of getting rid of the monarchy, so it has long rootes, but the taxation issue is a myth, an American paid 1 shilling in tax to 7 paid by and Englishman.

It'd be interesting to know if the founding fathers had any links to the East India Company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast